Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
May 8th 70 years ago
Was VE Day, a day to celebrate the end of WWII and to remember the millions who died in the defence of FREEDOM. You might not have been there at the time and you might be young enough not even know the significance of the date but they should be remembered and never, NEVER forgotten because without them, you, I, many of us, might not be here today.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

I had the rare opportunity to talk with and serve a WW2 Navy Pilot a few weeks ago. He is 94...and such a sweet man. I thanked him for what he did...and I meant it. I believe he is part of the greatest generation...

I'm always reminded of my grandfather whenever there are commemoration services. He was in the Gordon Highlanders, and his regiment were part of the British forces that were caught in the trap when Hitler invaded France. He made it back across the Channel on one of the last evacuation boats. His regiment was posted to Egypt some time after that. He died when I was still quite young so I never really got many of his stories and experiences first hand, they all came from gran.
<<<<I'm just consciousness having a human experience>>>>