Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayor refuses to remove pork from school menu
Iceblink Wrote:You must do that, however, within the established culture you have chosen to move to. They should not be expected to make changes to their culture and customs to accommodate you.

While people in other cultures should not have to make changes to accommodate an individual, they should make changes in their culture to accommodate reason and the greater good.
Things like persecution and bigotry have been intertwined within many cultures. There are many cultures to this day where oppressing other people is a pillar of their cultural values.

There are many things outside of persecutions where a culture could change for the better as well. Food, like the subject of this thread, is actually something that should reasonable not be tied to culture.
For example, in my home country the USA, the average American diet isn't exactly the healthiest choice. America was ranked as the fattest country for quite some time until recently being surpassed by Mexico. Now, should we, in America, where we are surrounded by fattening, greasy, American foods, change? Maybe.

Sorry Chase, I would respond to what you are saying, but I do not really want to have any more conversation about it in a discussion that stems from something that was not a real incident.

Chase Wrote:While people in other cultures should not have to make changes to accommodate an individual, they should make changes in their culture to accommodate reason and the greater good.
Things like persecution and bigotry have been intertwined within many cultures. There are many cultures to this day where oppressing other people is a pillar of their cultural values.

There are many things outside of persecutions where a culture could change for the better as well. Food, like the subject of this thread, is actually something that should reasonable not be tied to culture.
For example, in my home country the USA, the average American diet isn't exactly the healthiest choice. America was ranked as the fattest country for quite some time until recently being surpassed by Mexico. Now, should we, in America, where we are surrounded by fattening, greasy, American foods, change? Maybe.

While I do agree we eat pretty poorly in this country (myself included) I don't really see the relevance that plays into the topic. It's really only for health reasons, not because the bible (this country) says we should or should not eat something. Which it doesn't. Except you can't eat meat on Fridays.

Side note: However, over in Minnesota Somali Muslims are pushing for pork-free food in local food banks. it just seems very silly to me. They talked about "canned pork and beans" like it was the only kind of canned beans available. Plenty of canned beans with no pork. It's all nitpicking. You can find PLENTY of food for cheap outside of food banks if you just look around and know how to shop smart.

Doofus89 Wrote:Anyone else have thoughts?

My thought is that you need to be a lot more worried about fundie Christians imposing their beliefs on you than any Muslims, at least if you live in the USA. Though interesting enough fundie Christians just love spreading hoaxes about dem evil Muslims (and evil gays, etc) for doing the same thing the fundie Christians are doing. And there have been so many hoaxes and urban legends that I automatically assume such stories of Muslims imposing their ways on Americans (and many Europeans) are just more of the same which is how I thought to check the veracity of this story (though there were some red flags that smelled of cliched propaganda to me as well).

From what I see, even Muslims in California know to keep a low profile rather than joining the others in trying to impose the ways of their culture on their neighbors.

Btw, anyone remember this from the Onion? (Parody site for those who don't know.)

http://www.theonion.com/articles/gallup-...oba,29677/

I loved that, especially the last line. But it got even funnier when Iran mistook the Onion for real news and then an Iranian paper (the "government paper" IIRC) printed it as their own!

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/28/world/iran...ncy-duped/

Laugh

Pix Wrote:My thought is that you need to be a lot more worried about fundie Christians imposing their beliefs on you than any Muslims, at least if you live in the USA. Though interesting enough fundie Christians just love spreading hoaxes about dem evil Muslims (and evil gays, etc) for doing the same thing the fundie Christians are doing. And there have been so many hoaxes and urban legends that I automatically assume such stories of Muslims imposing their ways on Americans (and many Europeans) are just more of the same which is how I thought to check the veracity of this story (though there were some red flags that smelled of cliched propaganda to me as well).

From what I see, even Muslims in California know to keep a low profile rather than joining the others in trying to impose the ways of their culture on their neighbors.

Not saying I'm worried about anything. I'm just pointing out what I've read. I could talk all day about religion and the pros and cons of either faith (though, I have more cons to point ut than pros on both religions). But, it's played out for me and I leave that to Richard Dawkins and countless other notable debaters who practically make a living off of it.
Both religions are fucked in their own right. The way I see it, with Christians, you just need to worry about them lowering your IQ with whatever BS they spew from their jaw flappers. With Islam, we've seen plenty of public demonstrations around the world turn violent, whether it was a Muslim demonstration or an anti-Muslim demonstration. We don't need to waste our time with worrying about that in the United States, though. Considering this is one of the most religious countries (christian) on the planet. It will take a whole hell of a lot to change that. Probably another world war Tank hahaha