Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meaning of life???
For myself I'm with the live/love/learn crowd on the whole, but I'm leaning towards "love" in its aspect of "getting thoroughly and vigorously laid on a regular basis" on account of how I'm horribly single-track-minded right now. Can't be helped, never mind.

I guess I'm saying it's what you make it maybe?

sweetlad86 Wrote:Any thoughts from the Newbies??

sox-and-the-city Wrote:But then what if you're alone for whatever reason?? Is your existence then devoid of purpose??

I think love is an enhancement rather than a raison d'être.

Good point, but do you limit love to that which is shared between two people or a family or mates? There's a lot more to love in the world than that which we find in personal relationships, I find my love for music just as fundamental to my purpose in life, possibly more so since it's outlasted every relationship I've had and continues to make me happy regardless of circumstances. I'm not saying this to you personally, but I can't help but feel that popular romantic fiction's limited our ideas of what "love" is, let alone fulfilment.

Not that I'm devaluing a good banging, a nice cuddle or a life shared, naturally, but there's plenty to feel love for without being dependant on the presence of another person. Maybe I'm weird, but in the end I would like to share certain things with another person and due to my situation it's an ever present, high-temperature wanting. But if I lost sight of music, art and literature no amount of interpersonal wassname could restore meaning to my life. The other way round is lonely and frustrating for sure, but lacking meaning or love, not a chance.

So, uh, I'm agreeing with you really, but I'm being a prick about semantics. Forgive me, beer is involved.. Rolleyes

Rocky Racoon Wrote:Love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love, love.
There's nothing you can do that can't be done...etc

Cheesy I know, but does sum it up for me :biggrin:
Cheesy? How very dare you! Actually it is amazing that a song that speaks so much of its time has lasted so long. Patronising, I know, but I wish you could have been there. This music made a helluva lot more sense in the 60s Cool

Ah, I remember having this discussion whilst in a fairly drunken state on New Year's Eve after midnight.

I'd be tempted to say procreation and the continuation and improvement of the species.

But why does there have to be a meaning of life? Just accept that everything's a happy (or not) coincidence and do your best to lead a good life and help others in the process. Simple. Invasion

Shae Wrote:But why does there have to be a meaning of life? Just accept that everything's a happy (or not) coincidence and do your best to lead a good life and help others in the process. Simple. Invasion

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]

OMG, just had this convo last nite. Totally agree. I would go a step further by saying focus only on the positive and never on the negative... put the negative into a catagory as it is what is it - not neg or pos just IS and move along...

So many of my friends are looking for happiness but storing negative baggage while I "try" to just accept it, learn from it and wear it but dont get strangled from it. Seems to work for me as long as I am able to keep my sanity... when that goes then all the rules go out the window Wavey

[/COLOR]

Hi,
I creid in the film when the horse died (never ending story) and got scared too..

kindest regards

zeon

Arthur.FWT Wrote:Good point, but do you limit love to that which is shared between two people or a family or mates? There's a lot more to love in the world than that which we find in personal relationships, I find my love for music just as fundamental to my purpose in life, possibly more so since it's outlasted every relationship I've had and continues to make me happy regardless of circumstances. I'm not saying this to you personally, but I can't help but feel that popular romantic fiction's limited our ideas of what "love" is, let alone fulfilment.

So, uh, I'm agreeing with you really, but I'm being a prick about semantics. Forgive me, beer is involved.. Rolleyes

Right *claps hands together, ready to start rant*...

So i think there are different ways we can use the word 'love'. Who was it that said there are as many forms of love as there are moments in time?? Irrespective of what kind of love it is it has a darker side, too. Love makes people feel giddy and optimistic yet obsessive, even dependant. Optimism clouds judgement anyway.

No. Love can just as easily be like this

'My mind has fucked me over more times than any man could ever know...'

'...And I'm sorry to whichever man, should meet my sorry state, watch my sturdy lonesome gait, and be aware...'

'I don't know more every day.'

'I will never love a man 'cos love and pain go hand and hand and i can't do it again...'

I sure as hell hope that life amunts to more than love. In any form it's too volatile.

What an excellent suggestion for a thread and all of the replies seem to make sense to me. For me the meaning of life is about the balance between achieving personnal goals and satisfaction and making youre mark on the world either politically or by doing some good for others. My search for the meaning of life has, up until now has been based on extremes. Ive either been venemantly political, allways on marches and trying to change society to the point of self neglect to being totally self obcsessed and just concentrating on my own personnal development. I hope that with age I have developed a sense of balance between myself and society.

The meaning of life .Is to live each day as though it is your last.

yar Wrote:The meaning of life .Is to live each day as though it is your last.

I likey this interpretation! Xyxthumbs