Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mediums real or fakes
Btw, I thought this trick was pretty cool...and worth knowing about:

Geminize Wrote:I'm tired of hearing people say "I'm open minded" about mediums. (Nothing personal Odi.) As far as I'm concerned, you have to be close minded to believe. I think a truly open, curious, inquisitive mind quickly loses interest in paranormal explanations for such things.

I've never seen a TV medium's performance that isn't easily ridiculed. The few I've witnessed in person haven't done any better. I know people here have had experiences that seem to support some sort of psychic abilities, and I'm not about to say I'm right and you're wrong. Just understand that our minds have a way of convincing us of what we want to believe.

Derren Brown is a fantastically skilled performer. Here is a short clip of him mimicking the powers of a medium. Many of his tricks and illusions are seemingly unexplainable, but he is the first to point out that they are nothing more than tricks. If he can fool people so completely, so can others.

Trust me Sis, just because I'm open minded does not make me any less eligible to believe, nor does it cloud my interest in explainations.

It's hard to explain, but I can just feel it, however open-ended that may sound.

People are too afraid of what they do not know,understand or possess themselves. Which is why in many movies such as X-Men, the government and people seek to either control or eliminate such things. (not to equate this topic with X-Men)

QueenOdi Wrote:And as you are entitled to your opinion, so are they Sis. True, the practice of deceiving people for gain is disgusting, what people believe themselves to be or know who they are, is what they believe or know.

The Human mind is an Enigma not even the smartest Human could comprehend, so the level of Human Capabilities are thus unknown.

Just like coming to terms with your sexuality, so does that of a person with hightened Sensitivity (not "powers"), who is confused, scared, seeking acceptance and only wants to be happy.

You tell your mom you're gay and she tells you no you aren't, well wouldn't that not be similar to this situation? As you know what you are and believe what you know, so how can someone tell you, you aren't gay, when you know and feel you are?

True, flying and telekensis is very much out there, how can you know it's not possible? As a believer in science, the limitations to both the capabilities of humans and their innovations are limitless, so where has science proved to us that Psychics,Mediums and the like, are not real? Or cannot exist?

To live with a viel over the eyes, is to live a life blinded and clouded to the possibilities that can be, are, and have been. - Me <3 Smile

Oh, of course it's just my opinion and nothing else. That's why I said "in my opinion" Wink

However, denying something that's not scientifically proven is not the same as living with a veil over my eyes. I'm not necessarily saying "mediums don't exist and never will" I'm merely saying that as of now there's no reason to believe they do. If you ask someone who does believe in these kinds of things why that is, they're very likely to bring up a personal story. "I knew this guy who knew things about me that would be impossible for him to know"; "My neighbour when I was little showed me how he could bend forks with his mind" or perhaps "My boyfriend says he can feel the presence of my dead mother whenever we're in her house".

Personal experiences don't count in the big run. Science employs REPEATED experiments and numerous observations of a certain behaviour or occurrence to find out the truth behind it. Paranormal abilities are very much possible to investigate using science - the problem is that no psychic or medium has ever been able to prove their powers in an actual scientific experiment. Impressing a few people at a party doesn't count. In other words, it would be irrational to believe in these powers until there's reasonable proof.

Faith, though, is something else entirely and isn't necessarily motivated by evidence.

SolemnBoy Wrote:Fuck, I want James Randi right now...

James Randi is awesome.

Are you aware of this?

There's a chance.... just sayin'.

Btw, I loved this book about fake mediums that suddenly have to deal with real ghosts:

http://www.amazon.com/Haunted-Air-Repair...081255731X

And maybe it's just I have such a vivid imagination but I got a bit freaked near the end and couldn't sleep until I finished it once I got near the end because every time I closed my eyes I'd see a hand in a pool of blood while hearing a creepy "I think we're alone now..." Scared

Also, as a sidenote: I feel like believers are very much romanticizing humans and life itself as if they crave mysteries we cannot explain and some deeply hidden secrets within the human body and mind.

Non-belivers might be accused of living in gloomy and boring realities where science is worshipped and nothing unknown or mysterious is tolerated. The problem with this reasoning is that there's absolutely no shortage on mysteries and strange occurrences scientists are currently struggling to solve. The human body is amazing and so is the world we inhabit; I won't have anyone claim that the truths I believe in make for a "grey" reality.

TimeSage Wrote:There are probably some sort of powers we don't quite understand,

My ex for example is very empathetic and can sense emotions, including the residual emotions left behind in a building and stuff and honestly it causes him more issues then is useful. If the emotions in a building get to strong he has to excuse himself and go outside. If there are really bad ones left behind at a place he gets uncomfortable and wants to leave as soon as possible. He actually meditates to keep this from getting the better of him.

That said, any who claim to do this kinda stuff on demand are frauds.

It's more or less a perpetual "feeling" isn't it? Which is why I am so very sheltered, using my jovial personality as a shield.

Unlike with the T.V mediums or Empaths even, there's no off/on switch up in this. You just learn to work with it.

It annoys me when people make fun of it, like it's something anyone would want. Sis, you can have it, free of charge...

@Wade: Indeed I am! I won't allow him to leave this world before the threesome along with Richard Dawkins has happened. Logic and the act of exposing lies is hot.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:There are 'psychic' people. However the way these abilities really work are not useful enough for most people to cash in on it.

Real 'mediums' don't advertise, most struggle with it, most don't want it. And those who do come to accept it and use it to any length don't charge admission fees. No more than you would charge for helpful advise to a person's problem.

Those who charge it are usually running a con-game, or are using psychology badly (to cause harm, to earn a dollar, whatever). TV ones are all shams, Like a magician, not like a wizard (Magicians use illusion, Wizards use magic).

I used to have some kind of weird "power" when I was younger. If I concentrated enough, I could make people fall down. Stupid I know, but it only lasted a couple of years. It was fun to use though.

I have other "powers" too, but like BA says, not something I use enough to get good at, or want to take advantage of people for it. And again, I don't use them enough to get good at it.
Its very hard to develop these things.

And yes, those who make money at it are liars, cheats, and thieves. The only powers they have are the powers to persuade you to send them money.

Anybody with any kind of real extra sensory perception inherently knows you cannot use it for self gain, otherwise you will lose it, or go crazy....literally.

Pretty much the only two "powers" I have left that still work are deja vu (which I cant control) and the ability to decipher dreams. Well, I can sense TRUE evil....it makes my skin go cold and I get a weird feeling in my skin too.

Real perceptions aren't like what you see on tv and in the movies. Those are greatly over exaggerated and over hyped. Real perceptive powers are vague, indiscreet, and usually uncontrollable.

SolemnBoy Wrote:Oh, of course it's just my opinion and nothing else. That's why I said "in my opinion" Wink

However, denying something that's not scientifically proven is not the same as living with a veil over my eyes. I'm not necessarily saying "mediums don't exist and never will" I'm merely saying that as of now there's no reason to believe they do. If you ask someone who does believe in these kinds of things why that is, they're very likely to bring up a personal story. "I knew this guy who knew things about me that would be impossible for him to know"; "My neighbour when I was little showed me how he could bend forks with his mind" or perhaps "My boyfriend says he can feel the presence of my dead mother whenever we're in her house".

Personal experiences don't count in the big run. Science employs REPEATED experiments and numerous observations of a certain behaviour or occurrence to find out the truth behind it. Paranormal abilities are very much possible to investigate using science - the problem is that no psychic or medium has ever been able to prove their powers in an actual scientific experiment. Impressing a few people at a party doesn't count. In other words, it would be irrational to believe in these powers until there's reasonable proof.

Faith, though, is something else entirely and isn't necessarily motivated by evidence.

Yes sis, gurl, opinions are entitled to whom they belong Wink .

As for personal stories... Well, where did religion come from then? If not directly from the source, then where? Myths, Tales, Legends, all stories. So to some extent or degree, there is a valid part to any story. Just have to know which parts if not the whole thing. You'll only believe this when you have your own story to tell Wink .

As for proof, who says I gotta give it? Do you have to run around flaming to prove you are gay? I think not, it's who you are and what you know and believe, so why you gotta prove anything?

It seems we've reached an impasse in regards to the process of thought and where they should lay. Because on the one hand, as a Gay person, you wish not for people to judge you, claim you aren't real, but yet, you would do the same to a person such as myself or even someone more grand (as I don't believe in powers obviously, but sensitivity)... Somehow this doesn't seem right.

Has science placed an explaination on Homosexuality? Nope? And they don't need to, because for 1) It doesn't need to be explained, 2)We are who we are and 3)What purpose would it serve to know the reason or cause?

Romanticizing life, mysteries and Human nature is what humans do naturally, hence the belief in the after life and religion. So because I call myself an Empath does not mean I think I am any better than anyone else, that I jave a "power" or that I even want to be one, but is merely the name given for the traits that I exhibit.

Same potentially for Mediums. Medium is a subject in which something must pass or move through, so who's to say they aren't sensitive to Mental Stimulation as I am to Emotional and have no choice but to call themselves the name given? They are merely receiving the stimulation as it passes through, and perhaps more intensely or are more sensitive to it than others.

Doesn't make them this that or the other, except for what they are and know they are.

And by the way, Every human can exhibit the traits aforementioned, but only some can channel it better. And Science has explained Empathy, if you'd like to read Smile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empathy