Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meeting and Overcoming Other People
I am unsure of how and where to meet people. I am in like the most homophobic town and not to mention my high school. Just walking around and those common homophobic remarks from others are shouted out :mad: . Is there like a website where I can meet someone because I would give anything to not feel so alone anymore (not to mention the hated). How do you overcome the homophobes? You know those people who leave when you walk in the room or comment on your new picture saying "faggot" or whatever. :confused:

That completely sucks that youre in an area thats homophobic. I mean, you would get stares anywhere if youre gay but for them to actually insult you, thats another level. In my opinion theres no better way of fighting against homophobes than showing that they dont affect you. Fighting back or showing that your hurt will only make them feel more accomplished. Show them that despite their insults, youre still capable of being happy. Itll be hard. Especially in pretending that none of their insults hurt but in time, it will lessen.

Thats just what i think though. Lets see what the other guys say.

I think fly boy has a good point. Thats what I did in HighSchool. You start to ignore them. What I did when I was in highschool after ignoring felt sa though it was not working; a guy came up to me and said are you gay? (but in a way that he was trying to make feel less than a human bing) I replied 'Are you?' Never gave me any problems again.

Try being disabled too like me lol!!

I'm sorry to hear you are not in a good area. One thing as well, is that high school is usually worse for anyone that might in some way be an outcast or not in the popular group. People are trying to be 'cool' and will do things they think makes them cool at the expense of others. As people mature this becomes less of an issue, and things will get better.

For now, one site to possibly check is http://www.connexion.org which is like a myspace or tagged but for gblt.

Regarding people commenting on photos, not sure what site you mean but if it's facebook, check the settings. You might be able to change settings to prevent people that aren't friends from commenting (and if any 'friends' on your list have commented, delete or even block them. You don't need that).

The other advice is good as well.

I still live in a small hick town...and it's hard...most of my gay friends back in high school dropped out or started getting home schooled which i do NOT suggest! Don't make someone else make you feel small or unwanted....we all feel like we don't belong...even those popular people who abuse you in school...and it's not just high school....people hate no matter how old you are...or where you're from....i'm a gothic/punk/gay guy with kids and been divorced...lol...so yeah, i get stared at because of tattoos or piercings or the way i walk...and hell...my voice sounds like minnie mouse sucking helium, but I go on with life...and love myself...it took me many years to get to the point where i could be proud of myself and think that nothing was wrong with me...and now I look back and wish I hadn't wasted all that time letting people get to me like they did...and btw...there are lots of different websites you can go to so you can meet people...I've been dating my bf for 5 months and we're going very strong...I didn't think I'd ever meet a guy in my town (seeing how small it is and very anti-gay)...but I met him on gay.com...and he only lives twenty minutes from me...so there is hope....life your head up high and be proud of who you are...

"Happiness resides not in possessions and not in gold; the feeling of happiness dwells in the soul."
~Democritus~

when you get older get out to a major city, I did so and I'm really starting to connect with people I can relate to and are accepting of me, best of luck though, high school is not the be all and end all TRUST ME

I tried posting on this thread earlier and for some reason it didn't post...but here it is again basically....I understand where you're coming from...I'm from a tiny hick/hillbilly town where it's very anti-gay...a lot of my gay friends in high school dropped out or got home schooled which I would NOT suggest...don't let others stop you from being who you are...just remember...everyone has problems...even those popular people who pick on you and call you names...I'm a gothic/punk/gay guy in a town full of rednecks...I get started at all the time for my piercings, or tattoo's or the way I walk...or my voice..(which in my opinion clashes with my body cause I look like I'd cut someone but sound like Minnie Mouse sucking helium..lol)...and to answer the other part of your question...there are lots of sites where you can meet guys...but be warned that most are just there for hook ups...I didn't think I'd ever find another gay man in my town...but i eventually did...I met him on gay.com and we've been together for 5 months now...going strong...so just google search for sites...and of course if you ever need other gay people to talk too...we are here for you...good luck man!