Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meeting the Parents...
It is my dad that wants the grandchildren from me despite my sister having a child already. He's made that perfectly clear.

Paul's mum would also like grandchildren (she has an older son too) but being adopted herself would be happy if we ever decided to adopt, or even just had a pet dog.

Paul's parents have been very accepting of me. His mum is especially lovely.

My parents have been less than welcoming to Paul. I am afraid that capitulating to their wishes will harm my relationship with Paul, and not doing so will harm my relationship with them... although given the email I got earlier this week they seem to be doing a good job of that themselves.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear you are having such difficulties.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

I'm not an only child and my mother was still a total bitch to my ex. I would rate my father as disinterested but not hostile. My ex's mom was very nice though, and his father was out of the picture. \

I thought this was gonna be about the movie Meet the Parents. Astrosmiley2

Anyway, meeting the parents of your partner is a bit tough. I only really the met the mother with my last one and she disliked me to death. After I was with my last partner for about 6 months, I believe she was just liking me for my partner's sake. She truly didn't like me since the day she heard my voice... the father on the other hand is a good guy. I don't think he ever had anything against me. I did contact the mother back in December and apparently she's thinks I'm "not a bad guy." I don't truly believe it and I don't really trust her.

XRIMO Wrote:My family said that if I ever have a boyfriend I need to bring him home to meet them :tongue:

I would hope that whoever I was with would allow me the courtesy of meeting his.
lol that's kinda funny

colinmackay Wrote:My parents have been less than welcoming to Paul. I am afraid that capitulating to their wishes will harm my relationship with Paul, and not doing so will harm my relationship with them... although given the email I got earlier this week they seem to be doing a good job of that themselves.

I got an email from my Mum today. It is obviously without my Dad's influence this time and is much more reasoned in tone.

Anyway, I'm thinking that it might be better to meet my mum without my dad from time-to-time to ensure that I can get her side of things rather than have her feel that she has to stand by my Dad regardless of the crap that he spouts when he's upset about something.

i've never had a boyfriend but if i were to have one and i get to meet his parents, it wouldn't matter to me if we like each other or not. for as long as me and my boyfriend are ok, then everything's good.

I wouldn't want to meet any of my hubby's family, they can all die for all we care. His family has since disowned him since coming out of the closet. However my family love my hubby and ask about him all the time. There's nothing wrong with meeting parents so long as they're not homophobic freaks.

Plus my family doesn't have a problem with grand kids. I'm a surrogate father of 3, so my parents have grandbabies being raised by lesbian couples.

exaclty.... good if the parents are not homophobics... cause really, parents should guide you with your lovelife, not exactly run it... but again, as i've said, parents are not the last resort. you still have yourself to make the decision....

If you're in a longterm relationship, it's good meeting the parents. If they're open to gay people. If not, it's a big negative. For the most part, I can say over the years that it would have been better to have NOT met the parents. It was often uncomfortable and one mother would hang up the phone when she got me instead of the bf. IMO it's best to really make sure it's a long lasting situation, then wait another 6 months, then meet the parents. Otherwise, it's a lot of unnecessary awkwardness for everyone. I assume straight people have the same issues with meeting parents, but it's extra awkward for the gays.