Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mermaids
I saw that same show too!

Unfortunately I'm not smart enough to really have an intelligent discussion on it, but to me logic says, we don't know everything there is to know about the world and science. Today's science is yesterday's magic.

A simple google search returns some interesting results:

-------
<taken from The Inquisitr>

‘Mermaids: The Body Found’ Fools Viewers Again

“Mermaids: The Body Found,” a “documentary” about the possible existence of the mythical beings, is stirring up trouble again. On Sunday night, Discovery Channel re-aired the two hour special, which originally aired on Animal Planet, and the Internet exploded with theories with rumors and theories about whether the sea creatures are real or not.

But it was all just a well-crafted hoax on Discovery’s part. When the special first aired in May, Discovery admitted that they used an actor to “discover” the mermaid body on a Washington state beach.

Even the description should have tipped viewers off that something wasn’t quite right. Discovery’s description of “Mermaids: The Body Found” reads,

“What if there’s a kernel of truth behind the legend of this mythic creature? Is the idea of mermaids really so far-fetched? Maybe so, maybe not. The show itself, though science fiction, is based on some real events and scientific theory.”

Not only that, but the press release for the show clearly states that it isn’t a true documentary. It reads,

“MERMAIDS: THE BODY FOUND makes a strong case for the existence of the mermaid, a creature with a surprisingly human evolutionary history, whose ancestral branch splits off from a shared human root. The film is science fiction, using science as a springboard into imagination and centering the story on the following real-world events.”

Apparently that wasn’t enough to stop people from believing that a mermaid body had actually been found, and the U.S. government felt the need to step in and put the rumors to rest. NOAA released a statement earlier this month debunking the theory, saying,

“The belief in mermaids may have arisen at the very dawn of our species. Magical female figures first appear in cave paintings in the late Paleolithic (Stone Age) period some 30,000 years ago, when modern humans gained dominion over the land and, presumably, began to sail the seas… But are mermaids real? No evidence of aquatic humanoids has ever been found.”
------------

If you look at their press release on the website it has this quote in print "Editor's Note: This two-hour special is science fiction based on some real events and scientific theory." Combines that with NOAA's released statement, I can pretty much convince myself Mermaids or what they call "aquatic humanoids" do not exist as far as we know--unless you're into conspiracy theories...
Remember, "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." That common fallacy of logic might be ignored here.

I'm not narrow-minded or anything. It'll be nice if Mermaids truly exist. (Wouldn't it be nice to have one as a pet in our swimming pools?) But unfortunately, I believe it's only science fiction, not science.

It will certainly validate the sirens and Odysseus.

It is interesting and, I'm not going to discount the possibility of mermaids ever having or still existing, but for me it goes in the I'll believe it when I meet one category right along with vampires, dragons, fae folk, were wolves, skinwalker, shape shifters and the like.

Sure any of those are remotely possible, but unlikely, and even less likely to show themselves. If you dig enough you can find science to support almost anything, as a friend of mine proved by digging up things that could support immortal vampires, this looked like another such case, yeah if you want to say it means that, it might, but there are other possibilities too.

ivorybenz Wrote:interesting theories all but I dont believe in mermaids and shapeshifters. its all myths and make belief

Nothing is true in self-discovery unless it is true in your own experience. This is the only protection against the robot levels of the mind.