Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Merry Christmas? - or not?
I have a suspicion that is an imaginary issue but I want to know what other people think.

I really don't care if someone says Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays or not.

My interpretation of Happy Holidays - alot of people celebrate different versions of Christmas like Kwanzaa or Hanukkah so Happy Holidays covers everything -can't see the problem with that for the life of  me. 

Yet - if you fail to say Merry Christmas somehow there is some weird ass kind of "war" on Christmas???? uuummmmm - huh? 

What do you guys think? Real or fake issue? or maybe something else?

The war on Christmas was made up by the right wing media. People have said "Happy Holidays" since Perry Como sang it... I've never heard anyone being denied or scolded for saying Merry Christmas.

There is no war on Christmas. However, I'm curious where that originated.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!
[-] The following 1 member Likes InbetweenDreams's post:
  • Cridders88

(12-15-2020, 12:47 PM)InbetweenDreams Wrote: The war on Christmas was made up by the right wing media. People have said "Happy Holidays" since Perry Como sang it... I've never heard anyone being denied or scolded for saying Merry Christmas.

There is no war on Christmas. However, I'm curious where that originated.

This ^^

This "war" seems to have then been spread by people that are brainwashed by everything they read in this media. But in the real world, I have not seen it be an issue.

@Cridders88 I'm sure if happened somewhere... I'm sure there is that one person, that one group who did...but it is not representative of the vast majority of people.

To think that what is media sensationalism at best will somehow lead to the censorship of Christians is absurd. I really hate how the media has divided people this way....Is it this bad in other countries like the UK?
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

A few years ago, I mailed out cards to my friends, and I selected a card that said Happy Holidays.  I always use that, or "Season's Greetings".

Not long after a friend posted the below quote on Facebook, after the whole "war on Christmas" shit was started:

"I don't say "Happy Holidays", I say "Merry Christmas", because that's how it should be!

I replied publicly with this:

"I have friends who are Catholic, Jewish, Muslim, Pagan, Buddhist, non-denomination, or atheist.  I'm not about to spend my time running around trying to find individual cards for everyone, so the cards I mail say "Happy Holidays".  This way, everyone is covered.

If this is a problem for you, just let me know, I'll happily remove you from my mailing list, and save the stamp."

He never replied.

I haven't seen anything about a "war on Christmas".  I'm sure you've seen that here in the US we've been dealing (or not dealing, depending on how you look at it) with racism this year, and the phrase "Black Lives Matter", which some people have replied to with "All Lives Matter".

I'm waiting for someone to start the "say Merry Christmas" bullshit on FB, I have this waiting.....

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSUPtgwiGBJGCOpiSH8wL...w&usqp=CAU]
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!
[-] The following 1 member Likes CellarDweller's post:
  • Bhp91126

@InbetweenDreams Oh absolutely. The latest subject that the media certainly hasn't made any better and is probably at least in part responsible for creating a divide is COVID. And before that George Floyd. This year has been especially bad for it.

Always try to stay politically correct, separation of church and state, and yes I also have friends of every denomination, however, they respect my views as I respect theirs. So if I say Merry Christmas the normally reply with what is fitting for their own religion, just my thoughts, Jim
[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRz-Six7p24KDjrx1F_V...A&usqp=CAU]

I have stopped celebrating Christmas three years ago and I have now started to celebrate the winter solstice as I think it has more relevance to me. I like the idea the nights are going to be shorter and summer is on its way. I find Christmas is just depressing and has no relevance to me at all. I don't class myself as a Christian so I don't see why I have to celebrate something I don't really believe in. I give presents to family and friends still low as I like giving people I care about things.

Oh don't be silly @artyboy you just want to open you presents early! (I'm joking)

Christmas has some issues, the stole a lot of traditions from the Pagans, the tree, the log, heck the date isn't even right. I think the same is similar with Easter as far as the relationship with the Easter bunny.
Check out my stuff!

I enjoy ignoring Xmas. Husband is Jewish, so he doesn’t mind. Had a couple of bad ones, so I cancelled it. I had to create the holiday card for my last department I was working for and was strictly forbidden to use any religious motives or language. In person I change willy-nilly between merry Christmas and happy holidays. Never ran into problems.
Bernd

Being gay is not for Sissies.