Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Merry Christmas? - or not?
@Bhp91126 Do you think it is right that the company prohibits someone from giving a card that says "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Kwanzaa?"
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

My employer was a large multinational company and the card/message I created was for all of my department’s partners, customers and suppliers, so I understand the effort not to focus on religion.
Bernd

Being gay is not for Sissies.

I get all that and does make perfect sense to just say Happy Holidays if you've got say 200 people who are co-workers, customers and vendors. But say someone in your office, say the next office down from you who for instance you know personally that they celebrate Hanukkah do you follow company policy or do you get them a card that say Happy Hanukkah on it?

I understand that a large corporation is going to avoid offending anyone for any reason and all and yeah I suppose Karen who's an atheist is going straight to HR if that card says Merry Christmas on it. I'm not saying it's a bad practice I guess I am indifferent to it despite that and often a lot of company culture and politics basically says leave your individualism at home. Although at the same time can you imagine if companies allowed people do place political signs in the office? That would turn into a straight out office war.

I do think that "Merry Christmas" is somewhat synonymous with "Happy Holidays" at least in the US, although in the UK I believe they say "Happy Christmas?" Or well they do in "Love, Actually" anyway. I know that's not going to be the case in other countries.

I'm just not a huge fan of corporate culture... Not saying all the practices are wrong all the time but...
[Image: billlumbergh.jpg]
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!