Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Michael Sam's kiss
I'm surprised thaat this hasn't been posted before.

"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

http://gayspeak.com/showthread.php?t=31693

OK, sorry. Nothing came up when I typed in the title so I guessed that it hadn't been posted previously.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

(I've decided from now until forever I will communicate on this site entirely through links. I will do that forever! Or until I'm bored of doing it, which will probably be as soon as I post this.)

Wade Wrote:(I've decided from now until forever I will communicate on this site entirely through links. I will do that forever! Or until I'm bored of doing it, which will probably be as soon as I post this.)

LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughsilly wabbit...that's actually an interesting idea and might prove VERY entertaining and challenging. Xyxthumbs
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

It is SO DESPICABLE how mass anti-gay media has promoted this video as vulgar and in poor taste. I think it's one of the most REAL, heart-warming and responsible examples of the truth about same-sex relationships I've seen yet.
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

I'm not a big fan of anyone receiving preferential treatment due to their sexuality, and let's be honest: this guy was the 248th overall pick in the 7th round; the only reason he's being filmed is because he's gay. Is his moment no more touching than the heterosexual 248th or 250th or 17th or 39th or 145th pick? I get uncomfortable watching anyone play out an intimate moment in public. The first kiss was fine for me (a little uncomfortable to watch, but passable). After that, it was just excessive and exploitative on the part of ESPN. Plus, I have a hard time seeing this as genuine. Everyone reacts differently, but I can't imagine my first reaction to getting drafted being automatically turning to my boyfriend and kissing him over and over. People need to stop being paranoid and assuming those who don't like the video are homophobic. Some people just don't like seeing intimate moments played out on their TV's. When AJ McCarron had a similar exchange with his girlfriend, it was just a quick, almost nondescript peck on the cheek, the same one his mom gave him. That's easy to watch, but the Sam kiss is just a tad uncomfortable for people, me included and I'm gay. It's not always a matter of being homophobic, sometimes it's just a matter of comfort level with public displays of affection and intimacy that feel excessive, and possible a tad false. I might get shredded for this, but that's just how I feel. Obviously some people are upset because it's two men, but not everyone who's upset is upset for that reason.

^^ Why would it make you uncomfortable? It's not like they started fucking. (Now THAT would be progressive!) Others have made the same argument you've made, i.e., I'd be just as uncomfortable if he was kissing a girl, but I challenge that assertion, good sir! Of course, there's no way to disprove it, but I just smell bullshit. Most sports stadiums have a fucking Kiss Cam gimmick these days, and the heterosexual couples on those things are often far more "inappropriate" than this. And yet, no one screams foul or gets upset about that. We're inundated with heterosexuality in this world. 99% of Rom-Coms, Comedies, and Action movies have scenes in which an overly paid male face sucks on an overly paid female face and we all say "awww."

There's one, fucking ONE short celebratory kiss between the first openly gay NFL player and his boyfriend in a moment of joy and people get all uncomfortable. .... Why? Because it's unusual? Because it's not the standard? So what? Welcome to enlightenment! Pixie dust for everyone!

Wade Wrote:There's one, fucking ONE short celebratory kiss between the first openly gay NFL player and his boyfriend in a moment of joy and people get all uncomfortable. .... Why? Because it's unusual? Because it's not the standard? So what? Welcome to enlightenment! Pixie dust for everyone!
You said it, Wade! Heterosexuals feel no compunction whatsoever for kissing in public, especially in a celebratory context. Why shouldn't we be able to do the same? We're struggling for equality under the law, and societal respect equivalent to what's shown to heterosexuals. If Michael Sam can't kiss his boyfriend in celebration of his incredible achievements, what the hell are we fighting for?

philsguy95 Wrote:I'm not a big fan of anyone receiving preferential treatment due to their sexuality, and let's be honest: this guy was the 248th overall pick in the 7th round; the only reason he's being filmed is because he's gay. Is his moment no more touching than the heterosexual 248th or 250th or 17th or 39th or 145th pick? I get uncomfortable watching anyone play out an intimate moment in public. The first kiss was fine for me (a little uncomfortable to watch, but passable). After that, it was just excessive and exploitative on the part of ESPN. Plus, I have a hard time seeing this as genuine. Everyone reacts differently, but I can't imagine my first reaction to getting drafted being automatically turning to my boyfriend and kissing him over and over. People need to stop being paranoid and assuming those who don't like the video are homophobic. Some people just don't like seeing intimate moments played out on their TV's. When AJ McCarron had a similar exchange with his girlfriend, it was just a quick, almost nondescript peck on the cheek, the same one his mom gave him. That's easy to watch, but the Sam kiss is just a tad uncomfortable for people, me included and I'm gay. It's not always a matter of being homophobic, sometimes it's just a matter of comfort level with public displays of affection and intimacy that feel excessive, and possible a tad false. I might get shredded for this, but that's just how I feel. Obviously some people are upset because it's two men, but not everyone who's upset is upset for that reason.

I know you mean well but your premise is uninformed beginning with the fact that if you were being considered for draft into the NFL your family, loved ones and friends would want you to film the notification. They are ALL recorded. This was a private filming that was graciously shared. A private moment. How generous. How courageous. Sad it has to be defended.