Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Michigan cancels Halloween and Valentines for children.
So, just came across this today. Apparently due to issues with "inclusivity", Michigan schools will no longer celebrate Halloween or Valentines day. I have no idea who is excluded from either of these holidays, but I've never seen either of them with segragatory traditions. To quote;  

"As for Valentine’s Day, administrators stated that some families and students are uncomfortable with students celebrating “love.”

Now thats some dystopian verbiage right there. Check it out:

https://wgntv.com/news/michigan-schools-...-concerns/

I think we should stop sending kids to schools as they might encounter new things there and learn - end sarcasm
Bernd

Being gay is not for Sissies.

USA Today has an article that explains why they are doing this... The parents were complaining... Go figure.....

Sin-cerely,
Jimeroooo
We Have Elvis !!

(10-21-2021, 03:11 AM)jimcrackcorn Wrote: USA Today has an article that explains why they are doing this...  The parents were complaining...  Go figure.....

Sin-cerely,
Jimeroooo

Just seems bizzare. I get that "some" parents complained, but something is missing. I mean both Halloween and Valentine's Day both have religious roots (although it may not be Christian in nature).
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

(10-21-2021, 02:58 PM)InbetweenDreams Wrote:
(10-21-2021, 03:11 AM)jimcrackcorn Wrote: USA Today has an article that explains why they are doing this...  The parents were complaining...  Go figure.....

Sin-cerely,
Jimeroooo

Just seems bizzare. I get that "some" parents complained, but something is missing. I mean both Halloween and Valentine's Day both have religious roots (although it may not be Christian in nature).

Some of the Parents complained that giving a Valentine's card to a classmate (elementary school) was not right because it was teaching kids about "love" at too early of an age.

Halloween was a whole other thing.... Some parents don't want their kids celebrating a Pagen invention,, others complained that the kids were coming home crying because they didn't have the latest & greatest Halloween Costume to impress their classmates.

To me,,,, it's just another attempt by some parents to control every aspect of their childs life... Which they have a right to do,,, even if it is foolish nonsense...

Sin-cerely,
Jimeroooo
We Have Elvis !!

(10-21-2021, 03:20 PM)jimcrackcorn Wrote: Some of the Parents complained that giving a Valentine's card to a classmate (elementary school) was not right because it was teaching kids about "love" at too early of an age.

Halloween was a whole other thing.... Some parents don't want their kids celebrating a Pagen invention,, others complained that the kids were coming home crying because they didn't have the latest & greatest Halloween Costume to impress their classmates.

To me,,,, it's just another attempt by some parents to control every aspect of their childs life... Which they have a right to do,,, even if it is foolish nonsense...

Sin-cerely,
Jimeroooo

To early to teach kids about love? The Karen is strong in Lancing I guess. Just insane. I mean I heard people complain about their kids not getting any Valentine's day cards, hell I was one of them at one point. I get it, your kid comes home crushed because the boy/girl at school doesn't like them, but to deny all that from others isn't fair either.

And Halloween? A Pagan invention. Love that one. It's stuff like this just makes me hate the news lol. Kids upset over costumes? Shit I want the candy, I was upset not to get the full-size candy bars lol. I mean I get it. But you know what. When I was 6 and my parents were separated we made our own costumes out of old clothes. Was I happy about it? No, I wanted something that was badass. But we got candy anyway and still had a good time from what I can remember. Yeah, 1992 was a rough year for me. Parents separated, found out my mom had a brain tumor, school sucked and so on.

I mean people need to check their privilege. I get it, parents can't give their kids the childhood they deserve or want, but forcing a school to deny it for everyone because of their religious views or financial status isn't right.

Reminds me of something else from my childhood too. Might have been 2nd grade or something. I remember there was some kind of cookout or food being provided and they had drinks. Pretty sure it was Dr. Pepper or something nasty shit lol, I hate Dr. Pepper it's gross. They might have sent home something or told the kids that this was going on but apparently that information didn't make it to my parents who packed a lunch for me. They always packed a Pepsi in my lunch, well since Dr. Pepper is nasty I went back into the classroom and got my Pepsi. The teacher soon spots me with a Pepsi and asks where I got that from and I explained that I had a lunch packed. She takes it away from me because she said it was unfair since nobody else had a choice to get other drinks. However, I had no insight what they were offering and honestly had forgot about the event, I mean obviously since I had a packed lunch. So, was that fair? Was that the right thing to do? And it's not like you're allowed to just sneak stuff in or have access to your lunch or backpack so who knows. It's just one of those things I think was blown out of proportion. Read about all that just reminded me of this. Life's not fair, sometimes you're on top of the world and don't deserve it (getting to drink Pepsi when everyone else has Dr. Pepper or whatever) and sometimes you get shit on (forced to drink the Dr. Pepper) and don't deserve to.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

(10-21-2021, 03:49 PM)InbetweenDreams Wrote: To early to teach kids about love? The Karen is strong in Lancing I guess. Just insane. I mean I heard people complain about their kids not getting any Valentine's day cards, hell I was one of them at one point. 

That made me sad.

I don't remember any of the kiddie valentines I got back in the day saying "love" on them.

They all said stuff like "you're great", "I like you", "you're super", or things like that.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

(10-24-2021, 01:39 AM)CellarDweller Wrote: I don't remember any of the kiddie valentines I got back in the day saying "love" on them.

They all said stuff like "you're great", "I like you", "you're super", or things like that.

I don't recall cards or candies saying anything like that either.
Check out my stuff!

(10-25-2021, 12:57 AM)InbetweenDreams Wrote:
(10-24-2021, 01:39 AM)CellarDweller Wrote: I don't remember any of the kiddie valentines I got back in the day saying "love" on them.

I don't recall cards or candies saying anything like that either.

I do. I remember getting a few cards from girls in my class, and not be very interested. Got a heart shaped box from a very "close" male friend though. That was...different, knew I like it/him though. Though I had absolutely no idea what "gay" was. Or that even existing.