Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minority or Under-Represented
I was just reading through the threads this morning and was once again confronted by a 'factual statement' that "the gay population is tiny". Do you guys really all believe this? I honestly feel like all the statistics and everything are strongly skewed by our societies' continued lack of acceptance. I just feel like gays being a minority is another way to try and push us into a corner and feel like less.... ya know what I mean?

I feel like there's many men who still go through their entire life as 'straight' but were actually interested in males the whole time, they're simply that good at keeping up the act. I dunno, maybe I just too skeptical of the media.... or have such a little idea of what they say to begin with, but I dunno I just feel like this concept that only a really small part of the population is homo or bi is probably pretty biased...

that's the current idea given a number of surveys.

if more men came to their senses and came out to themselves; even if the number doubled or tripped, its still a tinny number. an unlikely case.

i believe in the god mormon, sounds silly to you but works for me

lol, the god dam mormons! Tongue

Umm, I honestly think we're a minority, regardless of numbers, we'll be a minority. Just like blacks, hispanics are all minorities, in that respect we'll be minorities. We're minorities that's underrepresented Tongue I've got a feeling that's going to change in the next few years!

If it's 1% of the population, then there are 340,000 gay people in Canada and 3 million in the US... 600,00 in the UK etc. If it's 10% then that's 3.4 million in Canada, 30 million in the US and 6 million in the UK. That also translates to somewhere between 60 million and 0.6 billion across the world. Assuming the number falls somewhere between those two, I wouldn't call that tiny. And when you consider that the Mormon church, for example, only has 14 million members worldwide... we outnumber them somewhere between 4 to 1 and 40 to 1... although I'm not really sure how Mormons came into this thread?

I used to hear the figure of 10% of the population are not heterosexual, so that would include gay, lesbian, bi, trans and those others like pansexual.

That in context of this IS a minority, however I beleive the stats would be lower than 10%, and if you are talking strictly gay and lesbian, I believe you would be talking figures between 1 and 2%...so yes, a minority by a long shot.

BUT, the time will come when marriage laws will change and and the power of the pink dollar will be felt in everything from real estate to electrical goods.

So that would make us a vocal minority if I can use that term.

One survey says this number another says a different one. One research study says so many another not so much. Even if we take the biggest figure so far from the Kinsey report we still only number around 10 percent. So definitely a minority group however we could also be under represented.

What I find odd is a segment of the LGBT community wants to exclude particular groups like intersexed, genderqueer, bisexuals, transgendered, etc. Seeing whichever group as having separate issues from Lesbians and Gays. example This just decreases our numbers, our overall strength, and the opportunities for representation. We all share a common problem which is the gender roles and expectations society asks us to assume. So excluding part of our population just makes us more a minority lessens our representation.

Reliable studies put gays in the 1-2% and maybe up to 5% with bisexuals. Of course, the numbers fail to account for some people, but I don't think it's the majority. I don't think most gay people in the West live in the closet these days. And then we have to consider the fact that an entire generation was nearly wiped out in the early years of the AIDS epidemic.

EricOntario Wrote:although I'm not really sure how Mormons came into this thread?

I know what he means, I grew up in Utah, the world capital of Mormons. Very nice, warm friendly people, one on one. In groups, all the prejudices and hatreds of anyone different than them comes out.
Richard

I'm not sure how much the real population of GLBT people matters. Discrimination and injustice are discrimination and injustice whether those are directed at a group that is half of one percent of the population or 90% of the population. It is true that any group under 50% of the population is a minority . . . so GLBT people are a minority, and in any country you will find discrimination against GLBT people. But you can look at Apartheid in South Africa and see an instance where the minority was oppressive to the majority.

DerJack Wrote:I was just reading through the threads this morning and was once again confronted by a 'factual statement' that "the gay population is tiny". Do you guys really all believe this? I honestly feel like all the statistics and everything are strongly skewed by our societies' continued lack of acceptance. I just feel like gays being a minority is another way to try and push us into a corner and feel like less.... ya know what I mean?

The statistic/research/etc. does not take the closet gays into account, no? And homophobic guys who refuse to admit that they are gays deep within.