Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monologues..criticism is welcomed.
I think you should look over the script for that monologue again because you contradict the character's lines by crying. If I were you, I would consider playing the frustration and anger the character is having trying to come to terms with the loss of his mother, and make the monologue more conversational. I know a lot of people end up in tears in therapy, but they don't usually scream at the therapist. Wink

Counselor Wrote:I think you should look over the script for that monologue again because you contradict the character's lines by crying. If I were you, I would consider playing the frustration and anger the character is having trying to come to terms with the loss of his mother, and make the monologue more conversational. I know a lot of people end up in tears in therapy, but they don't usually scream at the therapist. Wink

I know where you're coming from, I actually had alot of debate with the fact that if I should end up crying or not. I felt like the character was finally opening up to the therapist with a huge rush of emotions which is why I decided to end up crying and breaking down. BUT your point does make more sense and in a way it was probably the way that the monologue was meant to be like.

stranger221 Wrote:I know where you're coming from, I actually had alot of debate with the fact that if I should end up crying or not. I felt like the character was finally opening up to the therapist with a huge rush of emotions which is why I decided to end up crying and breaking down. BUT your point does make more sense and in a way it was probably the way that the monologue was meant to be like.

Most monologues are taken completely out of context, and how you finish is completely up to you. Directors will look for how you use the arc of emotion and that context to create a real moment in that character's life. From the lines themselves, it sounds as if the therapist said he understood, and Craig, knowing that the therapist doesn't understand, feels frustrated with the cliche and releases that frustration to some extent, hence the personal attack on the therapist's profession and background.

You have a great start! Keep up the practice!