Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More troubles with my mother
pellaz Wrote:the statements from the "therapist" are way outside current thinking. Thus I dont think there is a therapist involved at all. at the age of 35 your very gullible to take this in as true.

I dont know if this is a good or bad thing.

Honestly I think she is seeing a "Christian councellor" which would explain a lot of it. Don't get me wrong, I believe in God and consider myself a Christian, but I have a major problem with those who think they can "pray the gay away!" Guess you could say I'm a very progressive Christian. :biggrin:

Never in the Bible does Jesus say anything against men who love other men... on the contrary.... are you that "progressive"??? Wink
Old trodden path, more than 2,000 years old now, and often misguided by human ignorance.

I see where you are coming from

Cub, sometimes, as hard as it is, and as much as it hurts us and/or those around us in the sort term, we have to quit living for everyone else and live for ourselves. It's a hard road to take, doing what's right for you and not worrying about what others think, say or, do about it but, take it often enough and, sooner or later our hopes, dreams and wants start meshing with what we know is right for us and, that hard road starts looking a whole lot better.

I know, the first time i did it, I lost my family, friends and everything except the few personal belongings I could pack into my old '66 Beetle. OUCH! but, had I not done it, I wouldn't be where I am today and, here is pretty darned good. Aside from having the partner of my dreams, and a couple of minor heath issues (that will be fixed soon enough) what I want and, have is what's right for me, what I wanted for myself at this point in my life. Not perfect, but reality never is, close is as good as we ever get. Smile

I'm not going to buy it.

Buy what? That the therapist said that to her. Unless you were standing there when the therapist said it, I suspect she is pulling in internes gossip and/or took a comment he said and twisted it.

Therapists go to school and they learn that homosexuality is something you are born with, not made from abuse - in most cases, yes there have been a few clear cases of abuse driving people to homosexuality.

I suspect he said that right there, most people are born that way, yes a few are 'made'. And she only heard 'They are made'.

Unless she is seeing a religious nut-job type therapist, then all bets are off.

I'm sorry your mum is treating you this way. I fear its typical behavior.

Do give it time, and do a bit of research. Plenty of sites out there discuss the alternative (gay-affirming' interpretation of bible scripture. Plus there is a list out there for 'Gay Affirming Churches) (Google is your friend)

Arm yourself with these alternative interpretations. Trust me, the bible may be printed black and white, the interpretation of the bible is far from that and is mostly grey with some shocking realities when you start really looking at it.

I think she realized what she did because she came by the house earlier today and we barely spoke to each other. She came back by later and told me she wants to take me out for a belated birthday diner when I have the time then quickly added "if you're not too mad at me." I told her I'm not mad, I'm really hurt. She didn't have much to say to that.

I hope you can get it worked out, but maybe this is a chance to talk about her real feelings and get some things straight with her. (no pun intended)

I've tried talking to her about all of this and she keeps beating me over the head with the Bible.

Ugh, same insanity my ex mother tried to use on me. I have yet to see one like that change their opinion, it's too tied up in their beliefs.

Let it go, make the best of any time you spend with her and, go on and enjoy being yourself and, enjoy your partner. It's the best you can do with closed minded attitudes like that.

Blue Wrote:... same insanity my ex mother tried ...
so is this your mother or your wife's mother?