Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most people hate math
I love math and think it's one of the most useful things we can be taught. Yes there's a lot that we learn that we'll never use depending on what career we go in to but no matter who you are you're going to use at least basic math in your life and at the very least the useless stuff is working your brain so you're still getting smarter. Like how sudoku's don't really teach you anything but it's working your brain so it's still doing you're getting smarter.

I think a big part of whether or not a person enjoys math or even sees it's usefullness depends on the teacher.

I think my love of math is one reason I had a blast earning a degree in meteorology (that's weather to lay people :tongueSmile

Advection, convection, dew points, wind speed, single cell- supper cell, and a lot more all gets sort of tossed in a tumbler with Chaos Theory, mixed up and dumped out, then pounded on with a bunch more math, then you get a forecast, long range predictions and cyclic probabilities going.

You get to put all of that 'useless' math to work along with a healthy dose of insight and intuition. Not that's I'd ever go tot work for NOAA or even want to be a weather person on TV or radio, but it is an interesting use for math.

Looks like this math professor snapped....I wonder how much math had to do with his mental breakdown? :tongue:

http://gawker.com/5947979/msu-math-profe...t-of-class

Quote:An "eccentric" Michigan State University math professor had what appears to be a nervous breakdown during class this afternoon, removing all his clothes and screaming obscenities at students

Though there are many psychotic and paranoid people (as well as mystics) who are obsessed with numbers & calculations....

I always really liked maths, maybe because i was good at it and have a very logical brain. However I stupidly gave it up at 17 and have regretted it ever since (not that badly but still....wish i had pursued it further)!