Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Movies you recommend
wouldlikemuscle Wrote:Ooh lots!!

28 days later
28 weeks later
Saw II (or any of the saws, but this was the best IMO)
Final Destination I, II, III
LOTR
Hostel
Stand By Me
Misery
Pet Cemetary (sp?)
The Simpsons Movie
South Park: The Movie (Bigger, Longer & Uncut!)
Nightmare On Elm Street (original was the best)
Dogma
Shawshank Redemption
Green Mile
Carrie
All Dogs Go To Heaven
Land Before Time (the first one... I think a dozen or so were made in the end)
Dog Soldiers
Resident Evil
The Mummy / The Mummy Returns (recentish one with Brandon Fraser)
Scorpion King (The Rock is soo Hot!)

I'll stop there for now.

The ones in blue are the only ones I've seen from this list. Didn't like Misery, Carrie was quite shocking for its time (early Brian de Palma who also did a great job with The Incorruptible)
Stand by me, a nice youth film with the late River Phoenix.
Nightmare on Elm Street (whoaoaoaoahhhhh) that was nasty, scary and all. One of the best of the lineage. Ooh that Freddy is EEEEEEVILLLLL!!!

Green Mile (hmmmmm, you're into Stephen King, aren't you, WouldLike...?
Interesting film with the great Tom Hanks...

fjp999 Wrote:I use to have a top 10 list but will have to use my poor memory for some of my fav films.

Eraserhead
Blue Velvet
Taxi Driver
E.T.
Texas Chainsaw Massacre I & II
Chelsea Girls
Jubilee
A Zed & Two Noughts (Z.O.O.)
Jaws
In a Year of 13 Moons
Sophie's Choice

Nice and eclectic list there, Frank, from which I've seen those I coloured.

I guess half would be considered independent and then the other half classic modern Hollywood but all left me with a strong impression.
Eraserhead
Blue Velvet
Taxi Driver
E.T.
Chelsea Girls
Jubilee
Jaws
In a Year of 13 Moons
Sophie's Choice

Nice and eclectic list there, Frank, from which I've seen those I coloured. I actually own, Sophie's Choice, Taxi Driver, E.T. from that list too.

A Z and two Noughts is by that intriguing film director Peter Greenaway who also did The Draughtsman's Contract and Belly of an Architect before he moved on to The Baby of Macon and other things. I don't remember much about the film though.

In Taxi Driver by Martin Scorsese, there was a very young Jodie Foster and Robert de Niro in one of his striking roles.

Sophie's Choice broke your heart at her choice precisely (superb acting from Meryl Streep..... eh Wilem???? Wink )

Jaws left our hearts beating fast and our jaws dropped while the shark made its infectious way into our adolescent's subconscious.... with Richard Dreyfus trying to solve the problem with Robert Shaw, almost single handedly.

E.T. was an unexpected surprise and I just HAD to go and see it again and again. Most engagingly written and told. But then it was the Master, old Steven Spielberg, at it again.

A bit strange that I have seen neither Chainsaw Massacre (although I'm not a horror movie fan, this one IS a classic, isn't it?) nor Eraserhead. I think we went to see Annie Hall instead of Eraserhead with my mother but I didn't like Annie Hall (of all of Woody Allen's films) so maybe we should have seen Eraserhead, but would she have liked it? I rather doubt it.

XRIMO Wrote:I have far too many to list.

But here's a small list of some of my favs (in no particular order):
Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2
Princess Mononoke
Broken Saints (more of a series, but still worth watching if you can find it)
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Titus
The Terminator
Carrie
Dogma
Death Proof
The Shining
Escaflowne: The Movie (and the series too)

Have seen those I coloured. Terminator I thought was great especially on a big screen. A bit like that other Schwarzenegger classic about travelling in your brain (what was it called? Total Recall) which was also fun to watch on a big screen.
You too, Doug, seem to like the horror movies or science fiction. What are the other films about and who by? What year were they released?

princealbertofb Wrote:The ones in blue are the only ones I've seen from this list. Didn't like Misery, Carrie was quite shocking for its time (early Brian de Palma who also did a great job with The Incorruptible)
Stand by me, a nice youth film with the late River Phoenix.
Nightmare on Elm Street (whoaoaoaoahhhhh) that was nasty, scary and all. One of the best of the lineage. Ooh that Freddy is EEEEEEVILLLLL!!!

Green Mile (hmmmmm, you're into Stephen King, aren't you, WouldLike...?
Interesting film with the great Tom Hanks...

lol yh I'm into Stephen King... got just about all his books and their film adaptations + Kingdom Hospital and Rose Red.

I thought Misery was a great film... Kathy Bates did a fantastic job in that and I believe it was an Oscar winning performance!? Prefer it over Carrie as it goes.
Stand By Me (film adapt of the SK book The Body) was a superb film indeed. I think River Phoenix could have gone on to achieve much bigger and better things if he was still around.

princealbertofb Wrote:What are the other films about and who by? What year were they released?

Well Kill Bill and Death Proof are both by Quentin Tarantino. Death Proof was part of the GRINDHOUSE feature that was in theatres about a year ago.

Princess Mononoke is an animated movie from Japan by Hayao Miyazaki (Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle). Its a interesting tale about nature and industry with a love story woven in between.

Broken Saints was actually done online. The best way to describe it is a moving comic book. It is more like a series, but the entire thing tells an epic story. I believe you can watch it on the internet for free, but I'm not sure. I own the DVD where the characters have voices and its been remastered. Its about four people from different ends of the earth receiving visions and how they will come together because of the visions to find out the truth about a global conspiracy. EDIT* Yeah, I just checked, you can watch it online. Just google Broken Saints and the first site should have links in order for you to find it.

Titus is the movie based on the Shakespeare play Titus Andronicus. It stars Anthony Hopkins as Titus. Its very artistic in its presentation, mixing ancient Rome with present day anachronisms. I personally love the plot of Titus Andronicus, but many consider it to be Shakespeare's worst play.

Escaflowne is an anime movie based off the series of the same name. Its not really that great, but I just like the themes it presents. Its about a girl who is taken from her boring lonely existance on Earth and transported to Gaea where she meets a young warrior named Van.

wouldlikemuscle Wrote:Ooh lots!!

Saw II (or any of the saws, but this was the best IMO)

Forgot about the saw films I agree there are really really good Big Grin

Some great films from everybody.

princealbertofb, I am not sure that your mom would have enjoyed Eraserhead (David Lynchs first full length film). I saw it about 10 times (in theatres) before figuring it out (I think)...

All of my friends liked it so maybe your mom would have liked it too :biggrin:

Thanks for the reminder on Requiem For A Dream. I had a free ticket to see it at an independant theatre that held about 25 seats. I had to use the ticket and the last day was New Years Eve. That was a wild way to bring in the New Year.

Thanks for the mention of The Baby of Macon. Sounds great! Z.0.0. falls into the non-story telling of Greenaways films. It is about twin brothers (they may be joined at the hips (forget details too)) and death follows them where-ever they go. They fall in love with a legless woman. It is beautifully filmed even for a film about death.

After seeing Jaws whenever I would take a bath I would hear that music start up and I would see the drain hole and KNOW that the Shark (Bruce) was gonna come after me :eek:

Texas Chainsaw I is definitely a classic. B&W and really freaky. Part II goes in depth with the family members and Dennis Hooper chasing them. It is a really really wild ride.

For those horror fans I also loved Hellraiser I & II. Love Clive Barker (openly gay horror/fantasy writer).

A quicky on the ones you havent seen:

Chelsea Girls by Andy Warhol is presented with two projectors at the same time. The projectionist becomes part of the project as he decides to leave both images open with one sound and many variations such as the images off but sound on projector A then projector A has the sound off and the images running.

In a Year of 13 Moons by Fassbinder about a man who becomes a woman for her man. The film is the story of the transgenders life and it is a very rough life. Amazing acting but very depressing.

Jubilee by Derek Jarman
Quote:Queen Elizabeth I travels to late twentieth-century Britain to discover a tawdry and depressing landscape

Happy movie going

princealbertofb Wrote:
Eraserhead
Blue Velvet
Taxi Driver
E.T.
Chelsea Girls
Jubilee
Jaws
In a Year of 13 Moons
Sophie's Choice

Nice and eclectic list there, Frank, from which I've seen those I coloured. I actually own, Sophie's Choice, Taxi Driver, E.T. from that list too.

A Z and two Noughts is by that intriguing film director Peter Greenaway who also did The Draughtsman's Contract and Belly of an Architect before he moved on to The Baby of Macon and other things. I don't remember much about the film though.

In Taxi Driver by Martin Scorsese, there was a very young Jodie Foster and Robert de Niro in one of his striking roles.

Sophie's Choice broke your heart at her choice precisely (superb acting from Meryl Streep..... eh Wilem???? Wink )

Jaws left our hearts beating fast and our jaws dropped while the shark made its infectious way into our adolescent's subconscious.... with Richard Dreyfus trying to solve the problem with Robert Shaw, almost single handedly.

E.T. was an unexpected surprise and I just HAD to go and see it again and again. Most engagingly written and told. But then it was the Master, old Steven Spielberg, at it again.

A bit strange that I have seen neither Chainsaw Massacre (although I'm not a horror movie fan, this one IS a classic, isn't it?) nor Eraserhead. I think we went to see Annie Hall instead of Eraserhead with my mother but I didn't like Annie Hall (of all of Woody Allen's films) so maybe we should have seen Eraserhead, but would she have liked it? I rather doubt it.

fjp999 Wrote:For those horror fans I also loved Hellraiser I & II. Love Clive Barker (openly gay horror/fantasy writer).

I've possibly mentioned this before.. my Uncle's rats starred in Hellraiser I :biggrin: [/claim to fame lol]

I've still not watched the movie in its entirety.

wouldlikemuscle Wrote:I've possibly mentioned this before.. my Uncle's rats starred in Hellraiser I :biggrin: [/claim to fame lol]

I remember those rats Icon16

Oh good lists!! I watched btw the fountain yesterday and is really good. This is a movie i ll get on dvd.