Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving to...
More than likely I'll never be able to move to another country but I am still interested and may pursue it at some point. I'm not really interested in Canada, just too cold for the most part. However, I have been curious about the UK, thought about traveling to the UK a few times. Now I can YouTube a lot of things about Americans moving to the UK, the differences but... How are American immigrants viewed? Are there issues with finding work, housing, are crime rates good or bad? Just a general discussion about that.

Now on the other hand I have a couple friends who are considering moving to Panama at some point. I don't know how much research they have done but I know nothing about Panama. So what sorts of things would be need to know or be aware of, looks like a beautiful place. I think [MENTION=23908]Shawn[/MENTION] might know a few things, if you don't mind sharing.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

I've known fellow Americans who had to move to Canada for work. When you're an American citizen and you work in another country, the taxes gets complicated, since you still have to file an American tax return even though you're not living the states.

Chase Wrote:I've known fellow Americans who had to move to Canada for work. When you're an American citizen and you work in another country, the taxes gets complicated, since you still have to file an American tax return even though you're not living the states.

Yeah I can see that being a nightmare, not only is the US getting into your pockets you have another country as well.... Which would be why in both cases I would be looking to move to another country on a more permanent case.

Not sure about any country. My friends do make Panama sound appealing but, I also think I would be happier in a country where things are still somewhat familiar, people speaking English and share similar values and so forth. I kind of like British accents, or as some would be "proper" English lol
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Dude we love you yanks, we are cousins after all. How it works over here if your white and speak English with an American Australian New Zealand Canadian accent or from an English speaking country no one really cares. Just like the states on that regard.

You'll have to get used to our humour though lol.

Oh don't have a clue about getting a job here. It's hard enough for a British citizen finding a job in the UK lol

artyboy Wrote:Oh don't have a clue about getting a job here. It's hard enough for a British citizen finding a job in the UK lol

I think that not being able to find work would be a problem for me... It is hard, I suppose, here in the US, then again it is probably like anywhere else, different skills and different jobs and areas are at varying demands... I have heard a few folks here from the UK talk about being unemployed for years before finding a job. Here in the US that would be very tough, not that many social services, there are under certain circumstances, but me, I would be homeless if I didn't have a family to help me out if that were the case. I take it there some social programs for those who are unemployed or something along those lines?
Check out my stuff!

axle2152 Wrote:I think that not being able to find work would be a problem for me... It is hard, I suppose, here in the US, then again it is probably like anywhere else, different skills and different jobs and areas are at varying demands... I have heard a few folks here from the UK talk about being unemployed for years before finding a job. Here in the US that would be very tough, not that many social services, there are under certain circumstances, but me, I would be homeless if I didn't have a family to help me out if that were the case. I take it there some social programs for those who are unemployed or something along those lines?

Kind of you can get job seekers allowance and other sorts of benefits but people really look down on you.

I'm on benefits for disabled people but you have to jump through loads of hops to get them, tests after tests even though they know your not going to get better etc.

I'm get a benefit that allows me to get a car on lease but people like me get accused of getting flash cars on the scheme in fact to get the so called flash cars you have to pay out an advanced payment of quite a large sum of your own money to get one. People get jealous of disabled people basically lol.

Anyway the UK would be okay for say someone like you if you have the skills we are looking for. Backgrounds in engineering, Science etc this country is crying out for people like that.

artyboy Wrote:Kind of you can get job seekers allowance and other sorts of benefits but people really look down on you.

I'm on benefits for disabled people but you have to jump through loads of hops to get them, tests after tests even though they know your not going to get better etc.

I'm get a benefit that allows me to get a car on lease but people like me get accused of getting flash cars on the scheme in fact to get the so called flash cars you have to pay out an advanced payment of quite a large sum of your own money to get one. People get jealous of disabled people basically lol.

Anyway the UK would be okay for say someone like you if you have the skills we are looking for. Backgrounds in engineering, Science etc this country is crying out for people like that.

Same here in the US, lots of hoops to jump through to get disability. I don't think we have anything to help people get cars exactly...

Well I will have to take a look at what sorts of jobs are out there in the UK, just out of curiosity. I have a feeling thought that my little 2 year degree won't cut it in the UK, as in probably not recognized.

At any rate the idea of moving costs a fortune....even if I were to move to Canada for instance, the only nice thing about Canada would be that I can keep my car whoop whoop.... I don't think you can under normal circumstances drive a US car in the UK, plus it'll probably sit in customs for a year or something ridiculous...
Check out my stuff!

[MENTION=23180]axle2152[/MENTION]

A lot of people do bring their cars with them from the US funny enough, strange sight seeing a BMW with a LA plate on it driving around Swindon lol!

artyboy Wrote:[MENTION=23180]axle2152[/MENTION]

A lot of people do bring their cars with them from the US funny enough, strange sight seeing a BMW with a LA plate on it driving around Swindon lol!

Not sure a Prius would be worth the hassle lol

Now what I am curious about and this is probably something I could YouTube, are the differences I would immediately either need to take note of between how things are in the US vs the UK and so on.
Check out my stuff!