Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mugabe's tyranny continues...
As expected,Mugabe won the election.Barely 2 hrs after the commish declared it a landslide,he was sworn in.Afterwards he jetted off to the African Union Summit in Egypt.I expected that the AU members would turn him away but to my shock,that didn't happen.So far,only the Kenyan PM,Raila Odinga & UN Africa arm have called for Bob to step down.I wish the AU would just call him out and apply sanctions.Are they scared?

Dan1089 Wrote:As expected,Mugabe won the election.Barely 2 hrs after the commish declared it a landslide,he was sworn in.Afterwards he jetted off to the African Union Summit in Egypt.I expected that the AU members would turn him away but to my shock,that didn't happen.So far,only the Kenyan PM,Raila Odinga & UN Africa arm have called for Bob to step down.I wish the AU would just call him out and apply sanctions.Are they scared?
Incredibly, in many countries on the continent he seems to be hanging on to some of the glory he accrued through waging and winning the chimurenga wars and ousting the Smith regime. I guess Odinga has experienced a recent close election call too :frown:

Dan1089 Wrote:.Afterwards he jetted off to the African Union Summit in Egypt.I expected that the AU members would turn him away but to my shock,that didn't happen.So far,only the Kenyan PM,Raila Odinga & UN Africa arm have called for Bob to step down.I wish the AU would just call him out and apply sanctions.Are they scared?

it would have been to my shock if African union members turned him away !

what is the number of elected African presidents ?

Dan , as u followed that issue better than me , is there any tribal or ethnic basis for the Mugabe - opposition division ?
media doesn't seem to show this clearly .. just like in Kenya where it was obscured at first .. or like here in Sudan, where i should have been riding a camel , holding a gun , having a whiter skin , dressed like Saudis and fighting in the government side if the media image about Darfur conflict had been true !

Mugabe should go now , but ethnic based agglomeration won't be the better substitute ...
African politicians in opposition should know there are enough economic and social issues to make people mobilized around .. using ethnic tactic for whatever goal and whatever period will turn into long term disaster

sudanese Wrote:it would have been to my shock if African union members turned him away ! ... Dan , as u followed that issue better than me , is there any tribal or ethnic basis for the Mugabe - opposition division ? ...
Mugabe should go now , but ethnic based agglomeration won't be the better substitute ...
African politicians in opposition should know there are enough economic and social issues to make people mobilized around .. using ethnic tactic for whatever goal and whatever period will turn into long term disaster
Hi Sudanese, nice to see you again.

Dan will be better informed than I, but I believe that Mugabe is Shona and the MDC is mainly Ndebele? Of course, it's not at all as clear cut as that. My Zim musician friends who have had to leave their country are also Shona.

I watched Mbeki on television during the African Summit and I was appauled by how tame and weak willed he came across. He doesn't have any of the qualities required of a leader of South Africa and he shoud be standing up to Mugabe and taking a lead on this.

It struck me particularly because even a frail Nelson Mandella on stage in London had a more striking presence than this man, whose only qualification for office seems to be the fact that he is black.

The West, and particularly the UK, are in a terrible position when it comes to Africa, because any interference can be seen a imperialist aggression. However, it is good to see the people of Zimbabwe realise that they need to stand up and have thier voices counted.

The racist, aggressive Mugabe regime has brought economic, politcal and social misery to what used to be the bread basket of Africa and it needs to be brought to an end by whatever political means are availalbe.

I do think that suggestions of sanctions are rightly condemned by the African Union. We saw in South Africa during aparthied that sanctions only hurt the people most in need.

What the hell do you know about South African politics?Thabo Mbeki is my president simply because he is black?That has to be the most ignorant thing I've ever read on GS.Are you even clued up on the racial make up of SAn politicians?

Well... I didn't quite say that.

Mbeki is a weak leader. He has failed his people massively on the issue of AIDS by refusing to believe for three years, that it is caused by the HIV virus, and his behavior at the African Summit last week was pathetic... which was brought into stark contrast by the appearance of Nelson Mandella in London. A man who inspires millions.

My turn of phrase was meant to imply that anyone who the ANC put up would get elected in the current post-aparthied racially driven politics of South Africa. Because in my opinion, in most other respects, he is a political light-weight, unfit to govern.

If you're a fan of Mbeki you would do well to defend him rather that calling any would be attacker as ignorant.

His weakness on this issue should be challenged. This should have been an outrage to African leaders, and by acting as he did he failed as a leader of men.