Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mum, dad, I've got some good news and some bad news.
The joke goes like this (or rather went like this):
A young man goes home and tells his parents :
"Mum, dad, I've got some good news and some bad news.
The bad news is that I'm gay. The good news is that I'll be dead soon."

This programme tackles the idea of the ignorance that went around AIDS (and that possibly still goes on these days.)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08pfnqj
The programme's series is actually about marketing and advertising.
Rory Sutherland explores how the 1987 AIDS campaign "Don't Die Of Ignorance" transformed social attitudes - and potentially saved the lives of tens of thousands of people.
In 1987, as the HIV/AIDS epidemic began to spread, Conservative Health Secretary Norman Fowler instigated perhaps the most profoundly influential healthcare campaigns in British history. Artfully dodging the socially-conservative wing of his party (some of whom advocated interning HIV sufferers), a maelstrom of fear and misinformation in the press, and the dubious gaze of Margaret Thatcher, he teamed up with adman Sammy Harari to create a film that would shake people out of their ignorance, and educate them purely with the facts.
Thirty years on, Lord Fowler, Sammy Harari and HIV/AIDS activist and former Chief Executive of the Terrence Higgins Trust, Sir Nick Partridge, look back on the campaign - telling the story of how politics, medicine and creativity came together to create one of the most memorable and powerful campaigns of our time.