Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"My 5yr old son is gay"
I dont remember ever wanting to dress up as a female for Halloween. I do distinctly remember though my mother buying me a tea set with flowers on it when I was in preschool. We had a tea set at the preschool I attended and the teachers made the comment to my mother she should buy me a tea set for at home. She voiced her concern about how tea sets are for girls. My teachers assured her it was normal so she bought me the tea set. I had tons of fun playing with it.

‎"My job as his mother is not to stifle that man that he will be, but to help him along his way. Mine is not to dictate what is ‘normal’ and what is not, but to help him become a good person."

Bottom line is kids are taught rejection and acceptance from the the adults around them. Kids dont magically wake up one day and decide that they want to be an racist or a hompophobe. Its ingrained into them by the adults around them and there peers that have been taught prejudice. Derogatory terms like the N word or fag are taught to kids. They are taught to hate others who are different than them. Kids are also taught acceptance and tolerance as well. When are the adults going to realize the kids have it right. Here is an excerpt from a previous post I did when I was getting harassed by adult family and friends I told I was gay:

"Earlier this week I burst into tears thinking about (8yrs old) Hayley at work. I was thinking about how much I love her and the fact that she is blissfully unaware of the labels being cast on me by the adults in the family and the people around me. She loves me for being me and only knows me as her Uncle Ben. I wish I could say the same for the rest of the family and the world."

What a heartbreaking story. Little guy is damn brave, and I have so much respect for his mother. Sad as it is to say, she might think about transferring schools to an area with a better track record for equality. Not sure a Christian school is the best place to foster an open and accepting outlook on life. Nothing against Christians, but their institutions have proven to be failry narrow minded.