Lost in the mist of greyness
I cry for her return, my England

My England, where are you
Betrayed by state, my rights taken
I feel sorrow, darkness has fallen

My England, where are you
Land of free men, all gone
I stand alone, waiting for the end

Hello Richard, another good poem. I would not no where to start.
What poets do you like and who influences you.
Kind wishes, Ben.

Hi. Ben.

Thanks for praise, I am not a natural poet. I just like to write these, only now I have the guts to put these here. It just flows sometimes, looking at the net helps. Check out famous quotations then see if you feel their power, just write and see what you get.

Another poem

Richard the Lionheart

My king, king Richard
Born of English blood
Led an army, young he was
Brave as any knight
Temper strong, like a storm

My king, king Richard
Held the throne of my land
Left his people, to take the cross
Took many valiant souls to foreign lands
A crusader, he was

My king, king Richard
Many a battle he fought in the holy land
A land, soaked with English blood
Respected by foe and friend alike
Weary of war, he made peace

My king, king Richard
A disloyal kinsman at home
Back he must return, to make right
Shipwrecked and betrayed by men
Home at last, ransom paid

My king, king Richard
Forgiver of sins and injuries to his people
Wounded by a bow, died by the butcher's knife
A warrior king and a lionheart to the end

You must be very passionate on poetry. I would not know who or what to write about. Must give it a go sometime.

One of England´s greatest Kings??

He was born in France, spoke French almost exclusively (hence his handle Coeur de Lion - 'Lionheart´, interestingly 7 of his other titles were French ones), seldom set foot in England, living in his Duchy of Aquitaine and buggered off go slay lots of Muslims, leaving the nation of which he was supposed to be sovereign and overseer to fester, using England merely as a resource with which to fight his enemies.

How does crusading - misusing religion as an excuse to attempt genocide and invade lands to which he had no claim amke him great?? Am i missing something??

I believe Richard was born at the King's House later known as Beaumont Palace, Oxfordshire, England in 1157. Spoke very little English, if any. Did not like the English climate, wanted to sell London but could not find a buyer. Reigned over England for ten years, liked war, had people murdered and had a vile temper. Yes he wasn't an angel but was any king in the middle ages. Throughout our history every king or queen which ruled England has blood on their hands, even parliament during our civil war were not innocent.

Regarding the poem, it was written from the angle of a loyal subject of king Richard. I agree that his actions in the holy land were not right, but he was carrying out the orders of the Pope and defending his religion. Which I believe so were the Muslims, defending their religion. Both sides wanted to conquer the city of Jerusalem, which is still an area of conflict today.
Man will never learn that war is evil, whether it is politics or religion they are fighting for. Only innocent people suffer in war not the ones who make war.

I liked this poem, very smart and Cool and yes he was born in England, Beaumont Palace, Oxford. A good poem often causes a stirXyxthumbs

[COLOR="Purple"]Knowing nothing about this bit of history and just reading your work as words put together... NOT sure what you mean that youre not a "natural poet"?!

I really like the strength you have with words.[/COLOR]

Hokay, i stand corrected. Still the rest of my comments are, if memory serves, correct. It's been a long time since i did any history that wasn't directly related to literature.

I wasn't criticising the poem, it has a certain force to it which is somewhat compelling.