Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How did you know?
How did you know you were ready to come out?

When I became truly fed up being economical with the truth. And especially when I was feeling ready to meet and date guys, I knew hands down I didn't want to do that from the closet. Something snapped, I said to myself, "enough is enough", you only have one life, I wasn't happy how I was, and that is when I knew I was ready to come out Smile.

Cridders88 Wrote:When I became truly fed up being economical with the truth. And especially when I was feeling ready to meet and date guys, I knew hands down I didn't want to do that from the closet. Something snapped, I said to myself, "enough is enough", you only have one life, I wasn't happy how I was, and that is when I knew I was ready to come out Smile.

You did a good job of it.

When I got my first lover.

The idea of pretending he and I were not lovers was too terrible for me, well more terrible than playing the hiding game. Not that I was actually hiding beforehand, I was more or less so deep in denial that I couldn't see who and what I was to actually act or be "gay".

I never had a choice. My behavior (crushing on boys, etc) was evident from a very young age, and my father thought humiliation would work to "change my mind on things" so he made sure EVERYONE knew (in whatever most embarrassing and "shameful" ways he could) what those preferences were.

Thus, I was "out" long before puberty.

Fortunately, I'm apparently not "wired" to shame and humiliation... or maybe I was just too rebellious to take his disapproval to heart? Either way, I never hid who I was or what my preferences were.

I was 17, I was madly in love and wanted the world to know.
I was so scared.. so I wrote a letter and posted it to my Mum, so I couldn't chicken out!

All Mum said was 'You really think I didn't know, idiot'!

Dad came in from work, sat down, looked at me and said 'Oh here he is, fairy fufu' and never mentioned it again!

Telling them changed absolutely nothing, yet to me it changed everything.. for the better.

TwisttheLeaf Wrote:I never had a choice. My behavior (crushing on boys, etc) was evident from a very young age, and my father thought humiliation would work to "change my mind on things" so he made sure EVERYONE knew (in whatever most embarrassing and "shameful" ways he could) what those preferences were.

Thus, I was "out" long before puberty.

Fortunately, I'm apparently not "wired" to shame... or maybe I was just too rebellious to take his disapproval to heart? Either way, I never hid who I was or what my preferences were.

Fair play to you! You have some strength my friend!