Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Youth Day!
Yesterday was national Youth Day (to remember the tragic events of 16 June 1976) therefore another public holiday!My cousins and I took a trip to Johannesburg (2hr flight) and we went to an amusement park there called Gold Reef City.It was MAD fun!I'd never been on a rollercoaster before and the day ended with me riding the SCARY Anaconda which doesnt have leg support so my legs were up in the air!Fun day indeed.It was also nice to get away from the cold weather.

Dan1089 Wrote:Yesterday was national Youth Day (to remember the tragic events of 16 June 1976) therefore another public holiday!My cousins and I took a trip to Johannesburg (2hr flight) and we went to an amusement park there called Gold Reef City.It was MAD fun!I'd never been on a rollercoaster before and the day ended with me riding the SCARY Anaconda which doesnt have leg support so my legs were up in the air!Fun day indeed.It was also nice to get away from the cold weather.
May you have many more enjoyable days with your legs up in the air Rolleyes

Glad you had a good one... one question... what DID happen on 16th June in 1976??

wouldlikemuscle Wrote:Glad you had a good one... one question... what DID happen on 16th June in 1976??
I keep forgetting that most people on here are so young. The dreadful events in South Africa during the apartheid years should be remembered by all. The 16th June was the day police massacred a number of school students who were merely demonstrating. The following is taken from the BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates...514467.stm

"The schools boycott began in mid-May with pupils refusing to attend school in protest at what they saw as a discriminatory ruling which meant they had to learn lessons in English and Afrikaans, whereas white pupils could choose which language to learn."

"The day began with a march by 10,000 students carrying banners and slogans, saying "Down with Afrikaans" and "Viva Azania" (the name given to South Africa by black nationalists).

Armed police tried to surround the pupils as they reached Phefeni School, on a small hill surrounded by the homes of more than a million black South Africans. Police say the students began throwing stones and other missiles. They responded by firing live rounds into the crowd."

It's a bittersweet day for us young South Africans.Firstty we have to remember and honour those high school students that gave their lives for people like me to be where we are today and secondly ponder what gift will we leave behind for future generations to come.Yesteryear's youth had a purpose,was united &distinctively African but today,we're Westernized more than ever,MTV/Disney Channel generation and fast losing our African identity.

It's a very interesting time to be young in SA.We have grown up as part of the world and therefore more worldy but that in itself presents a threat as we are forgetting our own cultures,LANGUAGES and norms.Black African blood also runs in my veins but I know absolutely NOTHING about my black roots.So we're having trouble balancing those two worlds and finding equilibrium.

Dan1089 Wrote:It's a very interesting time to be young in SA.We have grown up as part of the world and therefore more worldy but that in itself presents a threat as we are forgetting our own cultures,LANGUAGES and norms.Black African blood also runs in my veins but I know absolutely NOTHING about my black roots.So we're having trouble balancing those two worlds and finding equilibrium.

I think, being coloured, you'd find it difficult to identify solely with one or the other group... You are truly a worldchild... I being from two cultures too have often felt slightly on the border of things... but interestingly interested in both cultures.