Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My dad.
As of right now I've come out to all my friends and family members even a step mother who is no longer with my father. The issue being my father is in denial about me being gay. I don't live with him since my mom and him got divorced. He views being gay as shameful and disgusting as he's a strict catholic... I'm not sure what to do and I'm even more nervous he will react badly to a partner that I would be in a relationship with (blaming them)

Should I bother with it or should I let him just be in denial about it. (my family members say he's in denial)
How should I introduce my interested partner?

I put off telling my dad and my sisters ended up telling him... "David's gay and you have to be okay with it". Because I was of a mind to not tell in order to not rock the boat. Statistically most Catholics don't oppose gays. That's doesn't really help with an individual belief.

I've always erred on the side of caution and didn't introduce men until the relationship was well under way and it looked like we were in it for the long haul.

Don't bother, serious.

He needs time to get used to it .
He has been brainwashed for a very long time.

If I were you ,I would not be pushing the envelope on this one.

Tho's who matter don't mind and tho's who mind don't matter. But we usually care what our family think about us. I say just keep being you and do what is normal for you. Be the normal you and let him met your normal boyfriend. Normal is something that catholics don't really understand u.u But still NORMALIZ IT!

Took me 4 years to introduce my partner to parents.

He met my kids in 4 weeks lol

ObW
X

Catholics think that divorce is wrong and he apparently remarried with your step mom, so that's one on your side.

I agree with everybody else that he is on denial, and he will come to terms eventually Smile

Anonymous Wrote:As of right now I've come out to all my friends and family members even a step mother who is no longer with my father. The issue being my father is in denial about me being gay. I don't live with him since my mom and him got divorced. He views being gay as shameful and disgusting as he's a strict catholic... I'm not sure what to do and I'm even more nervous he will react badly to a partner that I would be in a relationship with (blaming them)

Should I bother with it or should I let him just be in denial about it. (my family members say he's in denial)
How should I introduce my interested partner?

He sounds a bit like my dad. Note that he isn't your dad, because if he was you wouldn't have asked this question, you would have asked "what's gay therapy?" because he was that horrifying, but I think I understand a little bit.

If you're out to everyone, he'll eventually find out through indirect means, which will probably upset him. If you're independent from him, come out to him. Expect a negative reaction, but do it for yourself if it's important to you.

Note, as well, that there's no shame in living your life separately from him if he is a dangerous person. Being open to people is good, and a personal goal of mine, but personal safety comes first.

EDIT: You may also try mailing him a letter, if you're worried about telling him face to face or over the phone, that way all of your feelings are right there, and he won't be able to interrupt you.

In the same way your father can't change you to be str8, you can't MAKE him change his mind on this issue. HE has to come to grips with it - and that means he DOES have the choice to still love you!

Like others have posted, the best thing to do is just let it go. You're out. He knows - that's it. As long as he's not combative, confrontational or aggressively tries to confront you every time your around him - just let it be.

LIFE has a way of softening even the hardest hearts. If he REALLY loves you, he'll have to figure out a way of holding on to his faith AND his loving relationship with you.

Regarding a future partner - that shouldn't even be a consideration at this point. If you don't have a life partner, just focus on being YOU and living YOUR life - let that be a demonstration of the quality of your character.

If and when you enter into a committed LTR, then deal with him based on how he's acting THEN. Don't project a problem that dosn't exist yet.

Why even bother the man if he doesnt like you?

Makes no sense.