Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice: Understanding Dog Behavior
Quote:So correct me if I'm wrong, I need to push the chocolate dog away if he tries to hug me again? I assume push him away slowly and gently?

And Daz, giving a low growl as in making dog sound?

Yes, and blue has pretty much said what I would have said Wink

As everyone has said, dogs are pack critters with a pecking order.

The chocolate one appears to be the leader of the dog side of the pack. In a human home (a loving, caring human home) the Dogs set up their hierarchy amongst themselves under a human hierarchy.

These two dogs sound like they are neglected. That is a terrible thing. As for that stray its definitely under severe neglect.

Dogs have been bred for countless dog generations to rely on humans to one extent or another.

Understand all breeds of dogs know to watch the human eyes, they know when a human's eyes are shut the human can't see, they know to watch and see where the human is looking to get an idea what the human is thinking. They also can learn and extensive vocabulary of spoken human language. They can also learn sign language - they can read it, not sign back.

No other species is that attuned to humans.

Personally I would encourage the stray to come home with me. I have the room, I love dogs. I always say that when I die and am reincarnated I want to be reincarnated as one of my dogs... Life is wayyyy to good for my dogs :biggrin:.

If the stray doesn't have a collar with a tag on it, then you might want to take your cell phone with you, and on your next encounter call animal control (if such exists there). I do not know how popular dog chips are where you live, now days lots of dogs and cats have microchips installed which is tied into a national data base.

That stray may be an accidental runaway, just needing a chip read to return him back to his humans.

As for those two Sheppards, it sounds like neglect. I'm the type of person who goes up and knocks on doors when I see neglect to get a feel for the situation. I have discovered older people, sick people who love their critter but who lack the energy or ability to bathe and keep up with their critter.

Until 5 years ago I regularly went over to bathe a neighbors dogs (5 of them!). After her husband died she was left pretty much on her own. Being on a cane she was unable to really keep up with their dips and bathing.

So you never know what the situation is at home, and you can't just say 'This is a mean human' there are may reasons why humans can't keep up.

Well I ran past the house this morning. I didn't see the chocolate dog in the beginning. I only saw the white dog. The white dog was behind the gate. He barked when he saw me.

After I completed my lapse, I made a u-turn and ran back toward that house. I was approximately 7 meters away from the house when the chocolate dog appeared and ran toward me. He looked so excited. It was like that famous scene in Lassie.

Anyway he ran beside me until I left his territory. He kept rubbing his body against my left leg. I think he wanted to hug me (He was hopping around a bit) but I 'ignored' him. I kept saying, "Down boy". I didn't stop and pat him this time. I guess I should have stopped and do exactly what you guys asked me to.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:As everyone has said, dogs are pack critters with a pecking order.

The chocolate one appears to be the leader of the dog side of the pack. In a human home (a loving, caring human home) the Dogs set up their hierarchy amongst themselves under a human hierarchy.

These two dogs sound like they are neglected. That is a terrible thing. As for that stray its definitely under severe neglect.

Dogs have been bred for countless dog generations to rely on humans to one extent or another.

Understand all breeds of dogs know to watch the human eyes, they know when a human's eyes are shut the human can't see, they know to watch and see where the human is looking to get an idea what the human is thinking. They also can learn and extensive vocabulary of spoken human language. They can also learn sign language - they can read it, not sign back.

No other species is that attuned to humans.

Personally I would encourage the stray to come home with me. I have the room, I love dogs. I always say that when I die and am reincarnated I want to be reincarnated as one of my dogs... Life is wayyyy to good for my dogs :biggrin:.

If the stray doesn't have a collar with a tag on it, then you might want to take your cell phone with you, and on your next encounter call animal control (if such exists there). I do not know how popular dog chips are where you live, now days lots of dogs and cats have microchips installed which is tied into a national data base.

That stray may be an accidental runaway, just needing a chip read to return him back to his humans.

As for those two Sheppards, it sounds like neglect. I'm the type of person who goes up and knocks on doors when I see neglect to get a feel for the situation. I have discovered older people, sick people who love their critter but who lack the energy or ability to bathe and keep up with their critter.

Until 5 years ago I regularly went over to bathe a neighbors dogs (5 of them!). After her husband died she was left pretty much on her own. Being on a cane she was unable to really keep up with their dips and bathing.

So you never know what the situation is at home, and you can't just say 'This is a mean human' there are may reasons why humans can't keep up.

Well I saw the owners last month (Or was it two months ago). Two elders, one lady and a man. But yes, it wouldn't be fair for me to judge them as I don't know the real situation.

Is there any kind of way I can help the strays? As far I know, we don't have animal control. We do have animal shelter like SPCA though.

I saw two stray dogs today. Both were malnourished. The previous stray dog and today's two stray dogs do not have collars. In Malaysia, we generally do not use microchip on cats and dogs. Most pets don't wear collars.

A lot of Malaysia pet owners have this habit of adapting a cat or dog, spoil them for a few months and then ignore them by letting them out to find their own food, poo and pee elsewhere. As a result, my neighborhood has quite a number of stray cats and unwanted kittens. Stray dogs can be seen around from time to time.

Check out what irresponsible owners do in one part of my country.

Quote:300 Dogs dumped on Island Turn to Cannibalism

[Image: 090507-castaway-dogs-hmed-3agrid-6x2.jpg]

More than 300 stray dogs that were dumped on isolated islands turned to cannibalism after weeks of starvation, animal welfare activists said Thursday.

The plight of the dogs cast away by villagers on two small, uninhabited islands off Malaysia's western Selangor state ignited outrage after activists this week released photographs showing dogs eating the carcasses of ones that had died.

Residents of a fishing village on Pulau Ketam, another island off Selangor, caught the dogs last month and took them to the islands covered in mangroves. The villagers said they never intended to be cruel — they believed the dogs could feed on the deserted islands' wildlife — but wanted to rid their island of dogs that defecate on the streets and sometimes bite children.

A team from the Selangor Society of Prevention of Cruelty to Animals visited one of the islands — Pulau Selat Kering — on Monday and saw several emaciated dogs "crowded and hunched around something — they were hungrily feasting on the remains of another dog," the SPCA said in a statement.

"Nearby, a weak dog was screaming because several dogs were trying to bite her," it said.

Volunteers have so far rescued two dogs and left food for the others, said SPCA official Jacinta Johnson. They estimate 200 might have survived. Activists would also try to rescue any dogs left on the other island, Pulau Tengah.

Pulau Ketam's residents have said some dogs tried to swim back to their island, about a half-hour boat ride away, but it was not clear how many succeeded.

Efforts to save the dogs have been slow because many were fearful of people and scampered into mangrove swamps when rescuers approached, Johnson said.

Activists have persuaded Pulau Ketam's villagers not to dump any more dogs and are considering measures such as sterilization and relocation to ease problems posed by an estimated 2,000 stray dogs, the SPCA said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30616478/ns/...E_2-q7lZ_g

You can find more info on this terrible case via this link

http://www.oipa.org/international/abando...aysia.html