Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My lovely turtle <3
Algae isn't problem, but useful because it hide the turtle.
When I was keeping gold fishes and turtles in the same pond their ways never crossed - turtles were more slowly than fishes swam.
She's spending the winter-time (which lasts 4 months) in the cellar, in a bucket filling up to about 6 inchs of water.

LoL that doesn't sound bad. But I am sure I would never find her in the pond to take her out in the autumn. We have about 15m3 (4000gallons) pond.

I'll do some research Smile

Atti Wrote:Confusedmile:
Here are my turtle friends.
This pic is made in 2007.
Alas, just one of them is still living. :frown: She's 17 yo now. Wink

Very cute :3 . Too bad about your other turtle Cry , but wow, 17 :o . Sora's only about 3 going on 4 :p .

Also, to get rid of Algae you can try the fresh water snail Ampullariidae or commonly known as the apple snail. They like to eat algae and left over food, but beware, if small enough, you're turtle would go after it.

:3

Nick9 Wrote:thanks Odi Smile
I love gekos, their touch and the sounds they make, but I hate what they eat... Let me rephrase, I hate that I should have their live "food" at home. I guess I need to find some vegetarians LOL Maybe a turtle would be the right animal Smile

Geckos are cute, especially the one on the Geico commericial :3 . My Tree Frogs eat live insects, but they are helpful. They eat moths, baby roaches, little bugs, worms and anything that can't bite them and can fit in their mouths.

Pond Turtles(like Sora) are opportunistic Omnivores. They'll eat certain meats the same way they eat veggies, though adults prefer more veggies. They're also insectivores, as they would also eat insects that you give them or that fall into their tank/pond.

But you can still get one Smile , alot of captive ones need homes, because they can't survive properly in the wild (since they were born in captivity) and there are so many at shelters.

[Image: turtles_rock_postcard-p239910717039046224z8iat_400.jpg]

Hmm, I didn't know there were shelters for turtles.
It seems that she would survive a winter in our pond, because it is deep enough. But they say, turtles will ruin plants in the pond. So, I am not sure Smile
But I've heard about a "wild" turtle (well, she certainly wasn't wild, we don't have those, she probably "run" LOL away from some garden) who occupied a pond - she came in summer and left in autum and next year was back :biggrin: I guess she new about some nice basement in the neighbourhood. Smile

Nick9 Wrote:Hmm, I didn't know there were shelters for turtles.
It seems that she would survive a winter in our pond, because it is deep enough. But they say, turtles will ruin plants in the pond. So, I am not sure Smile
But I've heard about a "wild" turtle (well, she certainly wasn't wild, we don't have those, she probably "run" LOL away from some garden) who occupied a pond - she came in summer and left in autum and next year was back :biggrin: I guess she new about some nice basement in the neighbourhood. Smile

There are load of shelters in America. I'm not sure about in the Czech Republic. We have a shelter for animals, but it's small.

Yeah, turtles can smell water for about a mile and will search for better areas with better conditions (food/temperature/quality of the water). Not sure about traversing back and forth, but it could be a factor.

(Turtles can run :o , Sora went zooming around my backyard the other day and I found her at the front of my house Smile . She looked back and gave me the "Sorry" look lol Rofl . They can't out run us, but they certainly aren't slow like on T.V :p ).

aRE TURTLES DIFFICULT to look after?

QueenOdi Wrote:I may be biased, but it's really not that difficult. Three major things affect whether or not you can effectively take care of one.
>Location(If it's too cold (usually below 70F degrees or so) then it'd be hard, as they thrive in warmer waters-you'd need a heater)
>Time(taking care of him/her & their tank)
>Devotion(These guys have extremely long lives, one recorded living about 60yrs)

Here's a very good guide/website on these turtles. There's also a forum.
Red Ear Slider

As stated on page two Auntie Zeon Smile .

QueenOdi Wrote:(Turtles can run :o , Sora went zooming around my backyard the other day and I found her at the front of my house Smile . She looked back and gave me the "Sorry" look lol Rofl . They can't out run us, but they certainly aren't slow like on T.V :p ).

She waited for so long to show you the secret? Congrats, you have a relationship :biggrin:

Wink

Nick9 Wrote:She waited for so long to show you the secret? Congrats, you have a relationship :biggrin:

Wink

Yes we're husband and wife Smile . Oddly enough she's the Husband... Rofl

This always happens when we go outRolleyes
[Image: queen-meme-generator-oh-we-match-how-emb...096992.jpg]

QueenOdi Wrote:Oddly enough she's the Husband... Rofl

RoflmaoRoflmaoRoflmao