Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My narrative ( that WON!)
So, I wrote a narrative for a local burnaby writing contest, and the winner gets their narrative published among other student works. My narrative talks about my experiences of coming out.

It was a windy grey day as I approached my elementary school. It was exactly how I remembered it. It brought back nostalgia, back when kids had to line up like dominoes to go to another room, or when the worst crime was being a “Budger”. I quietly walked through the soundless hallways, hearing muffled noises among some of the classes as teachers began to clean up after a hard day at work. I approached the leaf green door and gently began to knock. Someone quickly opened the door and I was greeted by one of the janitors.

“Mr.Funk!” I greeted.

“Hey Kenneth! You’ve came back to visit?”

I slowly nodded my head . “Can you get Mrs. Pritchard for me?”

“No problem bud, give me a moment.” With a swift motion, Mr.Funk disappeared behind the door.

I studied my environment quietly and as I wonder my eyes around the deserted hallway, one certain poster had caught my eye. It was a picture of a rainbow, subtitled with “It’s not a choice.” With that, I was taken back by that night when I was 11. That night, I had discover-no, realized something about me that would change the course of my life. It was just like any other night, I was showering as heat engulfed my body. The thoughts and questions raced through my mind and I dreaded the idea of realizing the truth. My legs were shaking involuntarily and my lips quivered as I whispered quietly. “I’m gay.” It felt like a knife had stabbed me through the ribs and it was soon followed by more questions that I wasn’t ready to answer. I was left alone to cry in the shower as I realized what my big secret was. Before I could notice it, I felt an tap on my shoulder as I was pulled away from the memory I tried so hard to forget.

“Kenneth, are you okay?” said a female voice.

I looked up and realized it was Mrs.Pritchard. Mrs.Pritchard had her usual smile, and she was very pretty. I realized that she had grown old over the years and lines started to appear more obvious and her hair started to have a light shade of grey.

“Mrs.Pritchard! I missed you!” I hugged her as tightly as I could and slowly backed away.

“I missed you too! How you’ve been?”

“Actually…” I said slowly. “I have other things to tell you.” The smile on her face had slowly disappeared and was replaced with concern.

“Is everything alright?” Mrs.Pritchard asked.

“Yes…No…Please forgive me” I stuttered. “I’ve never told anyone about this before.” I felt my legs shook with fury, as my vision began to blur. The moment I had said “I’m gay” , I had felt like I’ve died inside, yet it was liberating . “I felt like it was something you should know. You helped me find my passion for acting, and you’ve taught me so many things about life.” I said. I heard blood rushing through my ears, waiting for her disgusted reply.

“Then let me teach you another one.” Mrs.Pritchard smiled, as tears started to form around her eyes as well. “No matter what in life, no matter what you do, you can never please everyone. The choices you make stays with you permanently. Those who matters will stay, and those who don’t will leave. “ Mrs.Pritchard reached out and pulled me into her arms. It was exactly how I remembered it. It smelled like flowers and summer time “and I’m staying.”

Strange noises had began to emit from me, and before I realized what it really was, I already felt the soaked cloth under my chin. I cried. I cried of acceptance and gratitude. As I reluctantly pulled away, I looked right into her eyes and bowed my head.

“Thank you.” I said with my hoarse voice.

By the time I had left the school, it was sunny again. Funny how Vancouver weather worked. I realized my teacher was right. Those who matters will stay , and those who don’t will leave. It was really that simple. I reached into my pockets and pulled out my phone as I quickly dialled my best friend’s number.

“Jenny..I have something to tell you.”

Much good I loved it. So great.
Kenji we love you are and you're a great person. Keep being awesome kay!

Nice piece. I hope it helps others come out, if they haven't already.

great job!
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

Good for you Kenny221. May your life be less complicated from now on. Hugs.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

awesome, nice work kenny! Big Grin

great job kenny, congrats!

Thanks guys!

Well done mate Wink