Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My "out" to facebook story
Pretty sure this is the right section, if not please move it where it needs to be.

I knew I was gay since I was about 14 but I lacked the confidence to admit it to myself.

Finally, I took the plunge and went on a date with a really great guy. He lives 4 hours from me, but its well worth the drive.

Afterwards, I came out to my dad and step mom and step sister. My step sister is gay too, yet I never told her. She hugged me and my dad and step mom told me, "We don't understand. But we still love you."

Now my real mom is also gay. Some of you may think, "Well what the hell did you have to worry about?" and the answer is, I didn't like the way society labels us. The state I live in has no gay discrimination laws. So if my employer found out I was gay, I could be fired and it would be totally legal for them to do so.

That, and I live in a mostly conservative christian area. Like hardcore christian conservatives. I've known many who have been bullied, beat up or killed because of the way they are. So I was affraid and tried to deny my sexuality, which led to extreme depression, drug use and attempting suicide.

So after that weight was finally lifted off of my shoulders, I decided to make a post to facebook, with the support of my lover.

I know many believe that coming out through social media is insincere, but the internet is my way to come out of my shell.

SO here's my post:

[COLOR="Blue"]It's raining now but soon you'll see,
Why my heart really bleeds.
Those of you who know me know I'm kind,
But most don't know whats on my mind.
I listen rather than talk,
You'll soon see why I balk.
You've always known me as the quiet guy,
But it was only because I held the truth inside.
The label that society stamps on me,
I could not deal with that, you see?
Even with close family the same as I,
I could do naught but hide.
I've lied to myself, as well as many,
Thinking as if my heart was plenty.
I'm very cowardice this you know,
But soon this cowardice will have to go.
For I finally met someone who opened my eyes,
And the rain soon stopped, opening bright blue skies.
So to Society, I have a point,
"Fuck what you think! Go smoke a joint!
Fuck your labels and all of it,
At least I'm no longer a hypocrite.
So here's the point I'd like to make,
I'm gay! And I'm just fucking great!
~ME

So I know most don't appreciate coming out on facebook as authentic or sincere. But most of you who know me, know my shyness and quietness. It took me 13 years to come out to my immediate family. 13 years I tried to convince myself I'm something I'm not.

To those family and friends who think I should have told them in person, I'm sorry. Again, you know my personality. And I'm much more confident online.

Any bigoted comments or messages, you will be unfriended. If you can't have a gay friend, or have anything bad you're either thinking or feeling, just unfriend me now and be done with it, for if you can't handle this information you don't deserve my friendship. Thank you and good day!

P.S. I'm no poet. It took me 2 hours to think of this poem so don't be too critical
[/COLOR]

I'm not sure how the fallout's gonna be, I already have 15 likes and 10 comments since I posted it an hour ago. I'll update you on how many friends I lose or who have negative comments.

I'm not worried about how I come off to them, most of them I haven't seen for 10 years or more, most I'll probably never see again.

Anyway, just wanted to share that, let me know what you think

I think this is great! I wish you all the luck in the world. I also recently came out to my close friends and it has been nothing but positive. They realize that I am the same person as I was before. I hope you have as positive of an experience as I did. If any give you grief then my they were not good friends to begin with.
Oh and welcome to GS! You will find a lot of good people here.

Your poem is good.
How you decide to come out is your choice,some will agree with it others will not,but it is your decision at the end of day.

Sorry to hear how gay people are treated were you live.I guess i am lucky to live in the UK were no one can be discriminated in the workplace no matter their sexuality.

You are not the only one that tried to deny their sexuality,and i have suffered mental health issues partly due to this as well,so you are not alone.

Good luck to you and your lover in the future.

Dillon1986 Wrote:The state I live in has no gay discrimination laws. So if my employer found out I was gay, I could be fired and it would be totally legal for them to do so.

That, and I live in a mostly conservative christian area. Like hardcore christian conservatives. I've known many who have been bullied, beat up or killed because of the way they are. So I was affraid and tried to deny my sexuality, which led to extreme depression, drug use and attempting suicide.
How can USA talk about democracy and to try to spread democracy if this is country definitely not country of freedom. And how dare USA talk about non -democracy of Russia Federation if government of USA can't defend citizens of this country.
Uncle SAM is a liar and hypocrite

I hate poems...

But good for you, to come out. And very brave to just throw it out there, on Facebook. I don't think it's insincere at all and feel proud to have you on my team!

Be sure to keep us posted!

Valet Wrote:How can USA talk about democracy and to try to spread democracy if this is country definitely not country of freedom. And how dare USA talk about non -democracy of Russia Federation if government of USA can't defend citizens of this country.
Uncle SAM is a liar and hypocrite

Yup. The lyrics in Same Love by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis sum it up nicely.

Cuddly Wrote:I hate poems...

But good for you, to come out. And very brave to just throw it out there, on Facebook. I don't think it's insincere at all and feel proud to have you on my team!

Be sure to keep us posted!

Yup. The lyrics in Same Love by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis sum it up nicely.

Fuck this song -i dont care about this bullshit

Congrats on your coming out!!
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

I don't think anyone would openly attack you on Facebook as they would be shot down by everyone. I think its a nice way to come out - just some people will always have issues and to be honest you don't need them in your life. The people that matter will support you so don't worry about reactions Smile

Its a brave thing to do so well done!
[COLOR="Purple"]As I grow to understand less and less,
I learn to love it more and more.
[/COLOR]

I think coming out on Facebook is a big deal, I mean its practically telling the entire world. SO, congrats! I really liked your post, it was a good idea.

You said you have 15 likes and 10 comments already, I imagine that the comments were all supportive? It sounds like it at least =)

I would focus on that, instead of the few who are overly anti-supportive. In my experience and seeing from others, most people are extremely supportive of it. For some reason I focus on the select few though who aren't, I guess because they make the biggest impact. But those are the ones that we should be ignoring, rather than living in fear of the rejection and only looking for the negative ones.

Its hard not to go off on a rant about that, but that's it in a nutshell. Hope it helps.

That is one hell of a FB post! I think younger folk have less trouble understanding cyber life as an extension or part of "real" life. Us older folk are learning. Listen, what you did is courageous so I am impressed. I think it's a great way to continue your journey and I hope it serves as a catalyst for other great things for you! You can always remind yourself how many people admire and appreciate you for your courage and creativity! And if you get any flack just send them to GS and we'll be happy to back you up! Remybussi
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart