Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mysticism
While I'm not a mystic by any means, I am fascinated with tarot cards. I don't know if its because the broad meanings that each card can carry, but I usually find that it is accurate whenever i seem to do a reading of some sort (I also find my horoscopes are eerily accurate as well).

Does the tarot, or any other mystic fortune telling interest you? Do you believe? Or do you think its hokey and fake?

I tend to find that the things they say are so broad they can apply to anything so you think they apply to you when really they mean nothing like "Things are changing this week" well isn't that always the case?
Just my thoughts though. I think for some people who believe in them they can be a good thing.

Mysticism the way i know it at least is not a lot related to fortune telling but more so in how to achieve (life is what you make it) and understand life and the purpose/reason of your existence. No hocus pocus, just understanding a little bit of the universe. As for the tarot cards i dont like them, they are very inaccurate and dangerously misleading, wouldnt include them in the mystical disciplines eg. meditation. Astrology if you have your personalized horoscope can surprise you like it did to me. However, although it is not always good to rely on what such readings tell can give comfort and courage which is good.

When I was in my right mind (so many ages ago) I use to read tarot for friends and acquaintances. I had the most beautiful cards made by Salvador Dali. Trimmed in gold, each card is a piece of art. I looked hard for a positive interpretation book and finally found one.

Everyone told me that my readings were crazy accurate.

I have a couple white witches for friends. They did my astrological chart and it was a bit scary. They said that I would live forever - even survive a nuclear holocaust.

I agree with spotysocks about the use of mysticism and just trying to understand the universe and our place in it... maybe tarot try to show us what we have been thru, where we are now and what may come into our future. I do believe that we can change our futures with that information.

I personally belive in that sort of stuff, cause I'm wiccan. Although I admit, shamefully, I haven't been up to much lately Rolleyes

But yeah, I believe in the whole tarot, scrying, runes etc etc

fjp999 Wrote:... maybe tarot try to show us what we have been thru, where we are now and what may come into our future. I do believe that we can change our futures with that information.
Ah, now that I find interesting. Could it possibly be something to do with an awareness of personal possibilities gives us a focus and sense of purpose that may not have been present before?

marshlander Wrote:Ah, now that I find interesting. Could it possibly be something to do with an awareness of personal possibilities gives us a focus and sense of purpose that may not have been present before?

Thats kinda the way I look at it. Whenever I have had a reading done, I don't try to make outlandish assertions about my future, but I try to make judgements based on what I know will happen and see if maybe I can focus my energy better on it. I don't blindly rely on the cards to help me discover the future, but rather use them to heighten my awareness of things I should watch out for.

One thing I think is neat is to do a reading on yourself, record what cards came up and then if you notice anything that happens that may be significant to the reading, write it down next to the record. You may not find everything in a reading come true, but you should notice something.

Not only that, but it also makes you think more about yourself. Even though the cards are general in there meaning, when you analyze a card, you can sometimes think or understand things that you wouldn't think of otherwise. For instance, if you are dealt a card that signifies a quarrel, you start to think of any fights or arguements you've had recently, or perhaps one you may have in the immediate future (like if you are going to confront someone or such). If that happens, then I usually take it that I should be wary of that quarrel and think about how I either handled it, or how I will handle it.

Please bear with my ignorance and correct me if I'm wrong.I remember when I was still a kid,I heard our then rabbi telling that tarrot cards,horoscopes,hand readings etc. were the Devil's work.Ever since then,I've stayed clear of such things.Does mystism go against our belief in God?

Dan1089 Wrote:Please bear with my ignorance and correct me if I'm wrong.I remember when I was still a kid,I heard our then rabbi telling that tarrot cards,horoscopes,hand readings etc. were the Devil's work.Ever since then,I've stayed clear of such things.Does mystism go against our belief in God?

Mysticism is usually labelled as witchcraft. Thus, traditional religions oppose it. I don't think you have to say it goes against god. Tarot and horoscopes are basically looking at symbols and finding meaning in them that may help you find awareness of your situation or something that may happen in the immediate future.
Mystics are all over the world, and I find that they offer self reflection. Take it as you will, you may agree with it, you may not. Thats the beauty of being an individual.

If you want to know more, just wikipedia tarot, mysticism, divination, fortune telling, horoscopes; I promise you will learn a lot.

marshlander Wrote:Ah, now that I find interesting. Could it possibly be something to do with an awareness of personal possibilities gives us a focus and sense of purpose that may not have been present before?

XRIMO has added so much depth to the discussion and I agree with every bit of it.

I will add my personal take on the most successful readings...

When I shuffle the cards for my own personal reading or have someone shuffle the cards for their reading the cards are mixed and spread out all over the table. I explain what card I am looking for and have them carefully try to find that card after they understand exactly what I am looking for.

For example, the last card is their future card. I ask them to find a card that could or will happen in their future. Once they understand the concept (there are some cards that are much more complex such as the card that covers you or the card that crosses you...) I ask them to scan the cards laying on the table and pick the one that has energy for that position.

It is also important how they place the card in my hand as the cards are read differently in standard and reverse positions.

So, it is my belief that we obviously carry the past with us and that we are aware of our current situation and possibly know our future. We chose the cards from our personal experience and it is up to the reader to interpret and make clear what the person has chosen to discover within themselves.

I hope that makes some sense... The best readings I have done were with the "client" taking a serious part in their reading by answering questions and the such.

An aspect I find interesting in Tarot is that there are a group of cards that deal with the physical world and then there are cards that deal with otherworldly situations. When a majority of the cards are of the otherworldly type you re-do the shuffle and only use the otherworldly cards as your main concerns are NOT of this physical world... those are much more difficult reading to be successful with.