Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mysticism
Dan1089 Wrote:Please bear with my ignorance and correct me if I'm wrong.I remember when I was still a kid,I heard our then rabbi telling that tarrot cards,horoscopes,hand readings etc. were the Devil's work.Ever since then,I've stayed clear of such things.Does mystism go against our belief in God?
Most religions have mysticism somewhere, otherwise what's the point of joining the club? You might as well go down the pub.

In the pseudo-Christian tradition that lied to me for most of my life, the divination of the future through ouija boards, tarot cards, consulting of fortune tellers etc. was considered the work of Satan. Strangely, they also taught a belief in the entitlement to personal revelation from "God". "Patriarchs" were men considered especially close to God who were able to receive revelation on your behalf which was revealed through the giving of a special blessing. All Mormons I knew believed their patriarchal blessings included information useful to their futures ... just don't call it fortune telling! Mysticism also took the form of belief in spiritual gifts of healing, interpretation of tongues etc etc. The head of the LDS (Mormon) Church is considered a living prophet.

Within Judaism there is Kabala, Hinduism has its yogic adepts, Islam has dervishes ... mysticism seems to crop up everywhere.

they interest me a lot. .
but i don't really believe it though.
It's just fun to know what they say about us n our future. . . you can just believe the positive things and throw out the negatives. .
hehe
all is up to you.

I read the Tarot pretty regularly for ppl. I used to do it a lot more, but hey, what can you do, life get's busy.

I read the Tarot because my readings are generally very accurate and when I can deal out the cards and see that the person I have just met who is sitting across from me has done a. b. and c. in the past week, lay out the details for them and who's involved, and then tell them how to fix the problems in those things, it's hard to argue with their jaw dropping. It doesn't always come that easily, but I've had that happen often enough that I can't really say I 'believe' anymore. Belief indicates that there is a self-assertion either not supported by or contrary to physical evidence. As far as my personal experiences are concerned, I know the cards work when handled with someone who is skilled in them.

Mysticism is generally defined as seeking God/Universal truth/Divinity/Ultimate Reality through meditative contemplation, intuition, instinct, heightened awareness and/or direct experience. Tarot is only considered part of mysticism when used for these ends.

Darius Wrote:I read the Tarot pretty regularly for ppl. I used to do it a lot more, but hey, what can you do, life get's busy.

I read the Tarot because my readings are generally very accurate and when I can deal out the cards and see that the person I have just met who is sitting across from me has done a. b. and c. in the past week, lay out the details for them and who's involved, and then tell them how to fix the problems in those things, it's hard to argue with their jaw dropping. It doesn't always come that easily, but I've had that happen often enough that I can't really say I 'believe' anymore. Belief indicates that there is a self-assertion either not supported by or contrary to physical evidence. As far as my personal experiences are concerned, I know the cards work when handled with someone who is skilled in them.

Mysticism is generally defined as seeking God/Universal truth/Divinity/Ultimate Reality through meditative contemplation, intuition, instinct, heightened awareness and/or direct experience. Tarot is only considered part of mysticism when used for these ends.
hmmmmmmmmm

gilhooly Wrote:Quantum theory indicates that all matter and energy in the universe interact everywhere.

Horoscopes are right but incomplete. They show the effect of the stars on us at the time of our birth. They do not show the effect of our birth on the stars.

An atheist would deny this, but in a God centered universe doesn't everything have a purpose. We all assume we will be alive tomorrow. Why wouldn't God know that.. As a child my mother told me some people have a gift for telling the future She also warned that some people who told fortunes were liars and cheats and only told fortunes for money. When I asked her how to tell the difference, she said a true pagan always knew the difference.. She said heathen atheists were so stupid they couldn't tell the difference. They were so stupid they didn't know God exists. In 1950 she ranted that Einstein was a fool who didn't know God created the universe, The universe was created a long time ago by God. The universe did not always exist as he theorized. Einstein would be discredited as a physicist when they showed the universe had a beginning To this day I wonder how my mom born in the extreme west of Ireland in 1911knew of the big bang theory., Einstein or Quantum Theory. It seemed unlikely that someone who went to 8th grade in Ireland before radio or newspapers would know about such things Our neighbors all swore my mom had a gift for telling fortunes. As a child my mom would rock back and forth chanting the Pagan Manifesto from, memory. Does anyone have a copy I would like to reread it as an adult. She told me to grow up and be a good pagan A pagan lives his life in search of truth, joy and wonderment.:confused:

I think I am in love with your mother.
I have always been drawn to witchcraft, ever since I was very young, 2 or 3, I believe. As long as I can remember I've known things that I couldn't possibly know, and when asked how I couldn't (and still can't answer). I think I've begun annoying my friends to no end with my incessant ability to NOT answer questions as to how I know something. I also lay cards, play with rune stones, pick things up. Saying this, as usual, I feel like a loon, but I've a select niche of people who accept this and me for what I feel and would never doubt me when I tell them something's amiss. All people are born with instinct, though not all people use it ALL the time, like I seem to have a problem doing. I have tried spending hours thinking things over, only to reach the exact same conclusion I came up with in the very spark that sent me on my pondering. People are Gifted in their own way, some with art, some with health and some with the ability to tap into the Universe.

That is why now, I am a practicing Witch (not Wiccan, I always like to clarify), and I do have all my magical quirks that I accept, I don't try to hide or fight. I let the universe flow through me, and heck, if I stumble upon something valuable, I reach out and grab it. All people have the ability, some fight it, some utilize it and some strengthen it. I utilize, I strengthen.

I'm a strong believer in the paranormal. i even believe that if your tarot deck is in tune, then your readings will be dead accurate. That, including wicca and magic, is real. You just gotta learn how to use it right, and know what to do

gilhooly Wrote:Quantum theory indicates that all matter and energy in the universe interact everywhere.

Horoscopes are right but incomplete. They show the effect of the stars on us at the time of our birth. They do not show the effect of our birth on the stars.

An atheist would deny this, but in a God centered universe doesn't everything have a purpose. We all assume we will be alive tomorrow. Why wouldn't God know that.. As a child my mother told me some people have a gift for telling the future She also warned that some people who told fortunes were liars and cheats and only told fortunes for money. When I asked her how to tell the difference, she said a true pagan always knew the difference.. She said heathen atheists were so stupid they couldn't tell the difference. They were so stupid they didn't know God exists. In 1950 she ranted that Einstein was a fool who didn't know God created the universe, The universe was created a long time ago by God. The universe did not always exist as he theorized. Einstein would be discredited as a physicist when they showed the universe had a beginning To this day I wonder how my mom born in the extreme west of Ireland in 1911knew of the big bang theory., Einstein or Quantum Theory. It seemed unlikely that someone who went to 8th grade in Ireland before radio or newspapers would know about such things Our neighbors all swore my mom had a gift for telling fortunes. As a child my mom would rock back and forth chanting the Pagan Manifesto from, memory. Does anyone have a copy I would like to reread it as an adult. She told me to grow up and be a good pagan A pagan lives his life in search of truth, joy and wonderment.:confused:

I have tried to live my life with truth joy and wonderment. Let me try a prediction. The 2012 election will produce the greatest catastrophe in the history of the United States

Where to start?

Quantum theory does not say that all matter and all energy in the universe interact everywhere, it says nothing of the sort. It has been hijacked by charlatans whose new age bollox is rapidly being overtaken by science, they do not understand quantum theory, and I'd venture a guess that neither do you.

Einstein died in 1955, at that time the question of whether the universe had a beginning or not was still moot, it wasn't until 1964 that Penzias and Wilson threw some light on the matter with the discovery of cosmic background radiation. They were scientists, not astrologers. Einstein's contribution to science lay in the photoelectric effect and two theories of relativity, both of which have been extensively confirmed. In the matter of the origin of the universe he was as entitled to an opinion as anyone, his view did not form part of his scientific contribution to the world.

You are absolutely free to use whatever belief system you like to conduct your life or improve it; when you choose to steal and misrepresent science to support those beliefs, don't be surprised if you meet with resistance.

If one believes something will happen because a deck of cards says it will, then I don't see how one can complain if someone claims homosexuality is wrong or, even, punishable by death because a 2,000 year old book written in a language they don't understand says so.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

I always let people shuffle my cards because Tarot is a metaphor for life. So when they shuffle, the metaphor is their life is in THEIR hands.