Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mythology, Spiritualism and the Nuances
And as for astrology I see that as metaphysical, not physical, that is based on Jungian-energies rather than physical energies (such as gravity). So Venus and Mars have their effects in the chart as do the constellations, but this is because of what we as a species imbue them with at the level of the collective unconscious. So for example if Mars had instead been named Phobos then it would affect our fears and anxieties today rather than our passions and masculine sexuality. Had Leo been named the Swan then we would've imbued it with a completely different energy and thus Leos today would instead be Swans.

IOW, the energy doesn't come from the planets and stars it comes from US that is projected outward by countless people subconsciously that is then reflected back at us and shapes our subconscious (but so do other forces). Furthermore, this metaphysical energy is "energy" instead of "destiny." That is it shapes us more like wind and water on stone rather than dictates to us, but other factors also matter. Scorpio is an example of an especially intense energy in which those who deal with a lot of it are forced to "sink or swim" in it, and if they're strong enough (which often means they had the help they needed growing up) then they swim and become Eagles, but if they instead "drown" in it then they instead become the negative stereotype of the "gray lizard." This is why you can take 2 born side by side and one can become a life saving doctor and the other a drug abusing sociopath who kills in a fit of rage, because one was strong enough to survive the energy while the other was not. Or put metaphorically (to me this is an archetypical Scorpio that just overcome the energy of his sign so that it strengthened him instead of destroyed him):

That's true of all the other signs as well. For example, a Leo can be a cocky champion of the oppressed or a crass bully (see The Lion King for a good fable of that). To me Harry Potter represents the best manifestation of Leonine energies while Lucius Malfoy the worst manifestation of the same energy:

Interesting post, Pix.

When it comes to all things spiritual, I'm very cartesian: naturally skeptical but not dogmatic.

I love astrology and reading birth charts but I don't take it too seriously.

Genersis Wrote:Well I don't really have much I can say.
But I'm not sure the human mind is as special as you make it out to be.

Well, I was more or less talking about our Existence and how it may or may not be afflicted by such things as Astrology,Mythology and the like.

However, knowing our own brain less than knowing how to breath, says that there is something great up there. Not necessarily anything "magical", but just a higher level of being.

And I wonder, why do you have this view? It's not wrong, but is a curious one Wink

Astrology and its meanings all depend on the culture you are in. Almost every culture has a similar "divine" almanac, but the seasons, birthdays, and personal meanings all vary.

For me, being in the USA, Im a Pieces with Aries rising. My sign is water, but in fact I HATE water....hate to be in it, hate to drink it. My animal is a dolphin. I dont mind dolphins, but Im more in tune with cats than any other creature.

So I dont put a whole lot of belief into this stuff, for the simple reason I can use myself for facts.....regarding what Pieces are supposed to be, act, and think. Along with the other mumbo jumbo.

MisterTinkles Wrote:Astrology and its meanings all depend on the culture you are in. Almost every culture has a similar "divine" almanac, but the seasons, birthdays, and personal meanings all vary.

For me, being in the USA, Im a Pieces with Aries rising. My sign is water, but in fact I HATE water....hate to be in it, hate to drink it. My animal is a dolphin. I dont mind dolphins, but Im more in tune with cats than any other creature.

So I dont put a whole lot of belief into this stuff, for the simple reason I can use myself for facts.....regarding what Pieces are supposed to be, act, and think. Along with the other mumbo jumbo.

That's an interesting combination: water (Pisces) + fire (Aries).

Even though I'm a Virgo, my predominant element is air (rationality, intellect), followed by water (emotions). I have very little fire - I'm not exactly impulsive or charismatic. I totally agree with astrology on this one.

My 12th house is loaded, so I guess I have heavy karma.

SolemnBoy Wrote:I don't believe in any of this myself but Mythology fascinates me and ever since I was a child I've loved reading about it!

Ever read The Hero With A Thousand Faces? You'd dig it.
Joseph Campbell is a crazy interesting dude and wrote and spoke a lot on the topic of the importance of mythology in all cultures.

Wade Wrote:Ever read The Hero With A Thousand Faces? You'd dig it.
Joseph Campbell is a crazy interesting dude and wrote and spoke a lot on the topic of the importance of mythology in all cultures.

Nope I haven't, but I've investigated it now (I'm a cyber-detective) and it seems worth checking out. I might get it if the library has it, thanks! Big Grin

The video didn't really work out for me though. I think it's because construction workers outside only let me have 2 hours of sleep and I tried to multitask while watching it so... no, just no. No can do. Nope. For realsies. I promise I'd have watched it normally!