Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NC gay marriage + civil unions banned
East, I would hardly find right words in my primary language Sad
I am sorry for your and your friends' experience.

There is another thing that stands out for me in your first post. Sometimes people around and the society may try to tell us what is wrong and what is right for us. And we need to be quite independent, strong and determined to defend what we think is right. It seems so obvious, but when many people tell you that you are wrong, it's easy to come to believe it after all.

Nick9 Wrote:East, I would hardly find right words in my primary language Sad
I am sorry for your and your friends' experience.

Thank You Nick

Quote:There is another thing that stands out for me in your first post. Sometimes people around and the society may try to tell us what is wrong and what is right for us. And we need to be quite independent, strong and determined to defend what we think is right. It seems so obvious, but when many people tell you that you are wrong, it's easy to come to believe it after all.

That is a really sad reality...especially for all of the gay people who have contemplated suicide due to internalizing years of hatred direct at them and then inflicting it on themselves. It breaks my heart. That kind of damage to the psyche and the spirit is truly devastating and these people doing "God's Work" have no idea what kind of hell they have unleashed on their fellow man...just as the good bible folks before them did and before them and before them had no idea the damage they caused. I tell myself they don't know so I can find a way to forgive them and it is much easier for me to believe than to think they do know and they don't care.

If anyone wants to have some fun with US conservatives who support amendments like this then ask them what the difference is between a Democracy and a Republic is. They should include how in a Republic that a majority can't vote away the rights of another (that is, 52% wouldn't have the right to vote away the rights of 48%--exactly as happened with Prop 8 in California for those who don't know), and if they don't, ask them (don't tell them about Prop 8 or mention things like gay marriage or medical marijuana or they may sense the trap before it snaps shut). Once they're committed to their position THEN bring up things like this, it can be quite amusing to see their mental gymnastics as they try to get around it. Roflmao (Well, I think so, but then I have a graveyard sense of humor and learned to laugh about foibles like this, but I could see it being depressing for someone else.)

Note: Ron Paul and his most devoted followers tend to actually stay consistent on this so it doesn't work on them. Some will insist it should be a state issue (thus DOMA by default) but many think the government shouldn't be in the marriage business at all.

For more fun point out how many states have legalized cousins marrying (which I believe are recognized throughout the entire country).

pellaz Wrote:the civil unions effort in Colorado (where i live) failed too
i think this is it till after the Obama re election is done.
basically the bill had enough votes but timed out and the legislative session closed
It may not be dead yet, the Dem Governor may extend the session.

Thank you East for your articulate, heartfelt post. It helped me to read this thread. I live in North Carolina and cast my vote against the amendment. I've felt depressed all day thinking about the 61% of my fellow citizens who believe I shouldn't marry someone I love. The good news is that voters under 30 voted in large numbers against the hateful amendment. There is hope for the future.

DoubleDiamond Wrote:Thank you East for your articulate, heartfelt post. It helped me to read this thread. I live in North Carolina and cast my vote against the amendment. I've felt depressed all day thinking about the 61% of my fellow citizens who believe I shouldn't marry someone I love. The good news is that voters under 30 voted in large numbers against the hateful amendment. There is hope for the future.

Actually I really want to thank you...for voting. It matters alot that there were so many good people in North Carolina who voted the other way.

Sadly...the true enemy is not the Christian right winger zealots...it is and always will be our own apathy. You would be shocked at just how many gay people do not even bother to vote when their voice matters more than anything else. I get sick to my stomach thinking about it.

The "hope for the future" part of it is true, so long as current trends continue. I think every generation in the last few decades has gotten a little bit more comfortable with gay people in a general sense.

That said, there is a lot more room for improvement, and at times like this it can feel like a step forward and two or three steps back. But don't despair, and try to be hopeful people!

pellaz Wrote:the civil unions effort in Colorado (where i live) failed too
I was hoping it'd get passed, but am not the least bit surprised it didn't..

I don't understand why Christians make gay marriage a huge issue and not an atheist couple getting married or a couple from different religions or cultures since it's a "religious" issue.
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]

I especially laugh at the notion and saying that gay marriage is the biggest threat to marriage and family life. That's absurd. The biggest threat to traditional, heterosexual marriage is the way so many of them throw away their commitment and get DIVORCED, without working on the relationship. And if you want an extreme example of marital stress, look at a marriage where one partner is gay but in denial at the time the vows were taken, because they just wanted a normal life.

I'm very queasy about politics in America these days. The two parties just don't cut it to me.