Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL Player Comes Out of the Shadow's
Missouri NFL player Michael Sam comes out as gay.

This is going to be a very interesting litmus test for US sports in gereral, and the NFL in particular.

Why?

Because he's not retired or past his performance prime. In fact he a high profile player who was the 2013 sec defensive player of the year, which would normally put him up there when it comes to draft choices in May.

Given the super macho image of the NFL, and the bullshit locker room politics that operates within the top end of any male dominated sport, it's going to be interesting to see whether he has just killed his career dead, or whether the whole thing becomes, as it should of course, a non event.

Quite a brave step if you ask me.

OBW
X

Interesting. At the very least, the people involved in 'locker room politics' know the spotlight is shining on them, so he has that on his side. I guess we'll see how it goes.

I just saw it on the news, and the NFL has issued a statement saying the are looking forward to welcoming him in 2014
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

Good for him!

Especially knowing all the hate he has, and will continue to receive after doing so.

NFL fans are some homophobic assholes, from what I've read on what horrible things have been said about him for being openly gay. Some extreme hatred being expressed.

Dreamer Wrote:NFL fans are some homophobic assholes, from what I've read on what horrible things have been said about him for being openly gay. Some extreme hatred being expressed.

Which is ironic because it's one of the most blatantly homoerotic sports around (men in tights, slapping each others' asses, with positions like 'tight end' or 'wide receiver', where commentators talk about how good they are at 'handling balls' because they just have the 'softest hands'.

Good on this guy for coming right out and doing the game as it's supposed to be done: without denial.

I am very critical of sportsmen coming out after retiring from their sport and then been seen as trail blazers when I believe they are weak as piss ans sending the wrong example to youth and so far from being positive role models that it isn't funny.

Michael Sam IS what a role model actually is.

This is how you show youth that there is nothing wrong with being gay. This is how you say to youth 'Lets do this together and help each other'