Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nail polish on boys
I consider myself a fairly "masculine" guy, but there's a serious femme somewhere deep down in me and it comes out a bit when I put on nail polish. I like to wear really bright green or blue nail polish sometimes, but I get too embarrassed to keep it on for long. It just makes me feel good, can't explain it.

MisterTinkles Wrote:Anything girls can do, boys can do better.

hmmm

rude

Also, I think it's interesting that so many guys here aren't interested in femme guys. I've always felt the same way. In fact, I've used the very argument that "I'm gay. I like guys. If I wanted to be with a woman then I'd be straight."

That is, until I fell deeply in love with Chris Colfer. I don't know what it is, but him singing Single Ladies is just fucking hot.

Done this on more then one occasion. I'm a normal guy but sometimes it's great to be different. Felt so sexy and turned me on just putting it on! Message me if you wanna talk more about it!

SolemnBoy Wrote:Most things considered to be feminine used on boys is a turn-off for me, but if someone wants to wear nail-polish they should go for it!
I agree, but I like it on goth guys, punk etc, and I envy goth-punk-etc style hahah!

Who cares?

IMO- nail polish is fashion and has nothing to do with masculinity or femininity. Ascribing gender roles to inanimate objects is always a losing game, especially for the LGBT community.

What I mean is, we should really try to be less judgmental when it comes to ascribed gender roles. The traditional gender definitions and accoutrements are exactly the things that society uses to diminish our self-worth. We really need to try to move past the ideology of: "pink, frilly, earrings, makeup, <fill in the blank> are for girls".

Having said that, I fully understand the aspect of personal choice and not liking something. Personally, I don't like nail polish at all, on males or females. When I was younger and into the punk and new wave scenes, I wore earrings (double-pierced both ears) and I wouldn't leave the house without eye liner. I liked the look on me (at that age) and I was able to pull it off. But nobody ever said that I was overtly "feminine". I was just punk.

Tying our gender identities into clothing and fashion is buying into the current social paradigm of defining sex roles. As a community, we should really try to move beyond those assigned roles and become something better. If a guy wearing nail polish (or a pink tutu for that matter) is somehow less of a man, than perhaps we should reevaluate what it means to be a "man". Because masculinity is not found in a football helmet, anymore than femininity is found in a bottle of nail polish. I am not gay because I like men's clothes. I am gay because I like dick. You can dress that up in lace panties, stockings and high heels if you like, or go the other route and make it all leather and denim. Makes no difference to me. Cause that's just fashion. Smile

Lalo Wrote:Who cares?

IMO- nail polish is fashion and has nothing to do with masculinity or femininity. Ascribing gender roles to inanimate objects is always a losing game, especially for the LGBT community.

What I mean is, we should really try to be less judgmental when it comes to ascribed gender roles. The traditional gender definitions and accoutrements are exactly the things that society uses to diminish our self-worth. We really need to try to move past the ideology of: "pink, frilly, earrings, makeup, <fill in the blank> are for girls".

Having said that, I fully understand the aspect of personal choice and not liking something. Personally, I don't like nail polish at all, on males or females. When I was younger and into the punk and new wave scenes, I wore earrings (double-pierced both ears) and I wouldn't leave the house without eye liner. I liked the look on me (at that age) and I was able to pull it off. But nobody ever said that I was overtly "feminine". I was just punk.

Tying our gender identities into clothing and fashion is buying into the current social paradigm of defining sex roles. As a community, we should really try to move beyond those assigned roles and become something better. If a guy wearing nail polish (or a pink tutu for that matter) is somehow less of a man, than perhaps we should reevaluate what it means to be a "man". Because masculinity is not found in a football helmet, anymore than femininity is found in a bottle of nail polish. I am not gay because I like men's clothes. I am gay because I like dick. You can dress that up in lace panties, stockings and high heels if you like, or go the other route and make it all leather and denim. Makes no difference to me. Cause that's just fashion. Smile

Thats alwasys gotten me.....how people have given a sex to colors!!!
Pink is a "girl", blue is a "boy". SAID WHO????? Ive never seen this in writing, nor have I ever seen it in writing that girls are the only ones allowed to wear makeup and nail polish.

I wore a pink Tshirt once back in the 80's and was called "fag" for days. Then all the preppies and cowboys starting wearing pink, and NOOOOBODY called THEM fags.....but yet **I** was!????!!!!????

megumidesu Wrote:hmmm

rude

Hmmmm, ok, so you've never heard that song.

Doesn't mean Im rude. I didnt write the song.

Blue used to mean the Virgin Mary while pink was for passion, like that of flushed white skin, and therefore girls used to wear blue and boys wore pink, especially as babies. For some reason, don't know why, this changed in WW2.

Another change in WW2 is that women took over roles once filled by men (as too many capable men were abroad and it would've been disastrous to shut down the plants, factories, etc, and families still needed money)...after the war women gave most roles back to men, save one: cheerleading. Before WW2, cheerleaders were guys.

I wonder if the reason this gets suppressed (though not covered up, it's just simply not mentioned) is because too many people are scared that people will challenge conventions & gender roles (including homosexuality) if too many (especially as kids) were to ask, "What does it REALLY mean to be male and female?"