Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Navy?
writerken Wrote:Agreed. And the truth is, many a guy who has lost his way has turned his life around by joining the navy. I didn't understand the hostility here.

EXACTLY! It taught me alot about discipline and responsiblity and respect...I was then and will forever be grateful.

I don't understand the attitude either but it is getting on my nerves.

Al I'm saying is that joining the military is not an escape. It is a good way to learn some skills and, make a lot of self improvements while serving your country but, if you expect it to make your life easier or better just by joining, you're going to be disappointed.

If you want to join, work hard to be your personal best in there and, take what you learn on to the rest of your life, great, go for it.

I don't feel the 'hostility' in this thread. I see a variety of people with differing opinions. Some opinions are very educated, other opinions are based purely on heresay and chinese whispers.

Everyone is going to have an opinion on any armed services, but ultimately the only opinion that will matter is your own.

I can see both sides. I can see military and armed forces in general being drunk on power and corruption, I also see the armed services providing a disciplined environment and providing a great service to their country.

Is there too much military involvment in the world? Without a doubt that is a resounding YES, but in this day and age, borders mean nothing and we are rapidly approaching a world that is 'regionless'. What happens on one side of the globe impact the other side of the globe.

Personally I am of the opinion that 'War means money' and many conflicts are based purely on a commercial success. I do not agree and will never agree with invading other countries. I agree with the Japanese structure, they don't have Army, Navy or what not, they have 'Self Defence Forces'.

Defend your territory, don't pull the rug out from under others.

As for joining the Navy, a very personal choice that you have to think very carefully about. Escaping from something is a completely BAD reason to join the military.

dfiant Wrote:I don't feel the 'hostility' in this thread.y.

I can promise you at least one thing...I am feeling hostile at the moment.

I didnt' realize that so many people had served in the Navy and pretty much knew everything about the original young man who posted......

Telling someone they have a "pathetic little life" is crossing a line....my opinion of course

East Wrote:I can promise you at least one thing...I am feeling hostile at the moment.

I didnt' realize that so many people had served in the Navy and pretty much knew everything about the original young man who posted......

Telling someone they have a "pathetic little life" is crossing a line....my opinion of course

Noted, I skipped that post as I generally don't read that person as that line tends to get blurred or crossed too often Wink

Blue Wrote:Al I'm saying is that joining the military is not an escape.

It was an escape for me...but since you seem to know everything about everything I guess I should have asked you about it first. Of course...you were only 9 when i joined...too bad I couldnt' have consulted with you and Bowyn first.

East Wrote:I can promise you at least one thing...I am feeling hostile at the moment.

Taken out of context and not understanding the context causes the discomfort. Bowyn would rather the OP "face the music" here in a safe and controlled way. I STRONGLY believe the OP will face MUCH worse than the confrontation here in the military, especially if he runs into anyone who cares just a smidge about helping others face reality. For this, for taking time to be confrontational and challenging, when it is far easier to just pass the thread by without being honest and sharing opinion, I genuinely thank the posters. All of them. Including you EAST!

The OP should pay VERY close attention to every single word from every single reply. EVEN Feris' opinion hold important value for consideration even though I totally and completely disagree with his opinion, because he offers life experience that can help someone trying to make important decisions to look at more than the little box he/she lives in. Xyxthumbs
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

CCRox Wrote:Taken out of context and not understanding the context causes the discomfort.

Maybe you are refering to other people but this is NOT the cause of my "discomfort".

East Wrote:It was an escape for me...but since you seem to know everything about everything I guess I should have asked you about it first. Of course...you were only 9 when i joined...too bad I couldnt' have consulted with you and Bowyn first.

Wavey Well don't hold back EAST! let 'er rip tater chip! I am not apologizing for Blue and Bowyn, but I think you're being a tad too sensitive in their regard. I do appreciate what you are trying to accomplish on behalf of the OP and the thread however. The young man does need to consider his plan as a very reasonable and possibly beneficial one. Hope you won't be ruffled long. Remybussi
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

East Wrote:It was an escape for me...

It may have been an escape of sorts, but to purely base a choice in the military as an escape would be a bad idea. I say this because I feel that you need a direction, a goal of sorts as well as wanting to escape.

For example, to improve prospects or learn self discipline as well as an escape.

If the choice is made to purely escape something, then the problem of self image and esteem will always exist.

I think if Deryn wants improved prospects, some structure in life and is prepared to commit himself to the Navy and face all challenges with a gusto, then it would be a shame if he lets the opportunity to join the Navy pass him by.

It's not the past and failures that matter, it is what you achieve today and the goals you set yourself for tomorrow that really matter.