Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need advice
Hello. I'm sorry for my bad English. I'm Sergo, 23 years old from Georgia. In 17th of May In Tbilisi, capital of Georgia, was scheduled demonstration against homophobia, but 40 000 anti-demonstrantes and 200 priest don't give them chance to do it and beat a demonstration participants, you can see videos on youtube. Police did not take adequate steps to protect LGBT activists. Next day I was beaten by few man and they take my ID card, where written my name, surname, address and other information. My face and clothes was bloody and when I stop a police car and say that I was beaten, because I'm gay, they smile and drove away without any help. In 26 of May I was beaten by same persons near my house and when police officer ask me why I was beaten I answer that I will say everything in next day with my lawyer, but they say me that if I don't say the reason I will be stay there all night. I say them that I was beaten, because I'm gay. He look at me and say "you are faggot" I answer "no I'm gay" and another officer say "no you are faggot go out from room". Next day this officers come to my home and say to my family that I'm gay. My brothers and cousins are criminal authorities in Georgia and when they know about this they beat me all days. Once my brother comes home with gun and say "if I will be sure that you are gay how you want that I kill you shoot in hurt or in head". In one month the persons who was beat me few time write to my cousins by social network that I'm gay and that they saw me with guy. They decide to kill me and when I understand this I escape from home and move to domestic violence victims shelter. They searching me for kill till this days. In 6th August, the persons who beat me few time kidnaps me near the shelter. They bring me in a dark place and beat me so much, that I was in a hospital few days with head trauma. Few month I receiving threats by social where was written that they kill me soon if I don't kill myself and when Identobas (LGBT organization in Georgia) lawyer ask to police to investigate and find this persons who sending me threats, they answer that they don't investigating every stupid things that happening in social networks. Police not investigating my cases at all. I working in Identoba as a volunteer 3 month. In 27th of September I come to Ukraine on Training Courses "LGBT Together Against Discrimination" by EU program "Youth In Action", and my friends from Georgia call me and say that my family know address of shelter and this is too dangerous for me to return in Ukraine. I decide to stay in Ukraine and apply for asylum, but many organizations here say me that there was no chance that I will receive in Ukraine refugee status and the State will deport me in Georgia, for me it is death penalty. I'm scared to stay here, because my brothers have contacts with criminal authorities in Ukraine and they can find me here too. I can stay in Ukraine legal 2 month. I ask Unated Nations for help and waiting their answer. But I have no time. Many LGBT organization around the world working with my case, but they can't help me with immigration. If someone knows what I can do and how I can immigrate to safe and liberate country please write it.

This is unbelievable. The fact that human rights violations like this are taking place now, and there's not a bigger outcry in our part of the world makes me sick.

Sergo, while I can't personally help or tell you how to go about it I can tell you that I will be waiting to hear back from you and hoping you find your way out of that part of the world. You've indicated that you know you need to leave, and I'm glad of that because truly the best thing for you would be to get away from there and emigrate to a country where you will be safe. Do everything you can to make that happen, and please let us know what is going on.

There is a UN representative in Kiev, I assume it's them whom you asked

Ms. Alessandra Tisot

1 Klovsky Uzviz,
Kyiv 01021, Ukraine
Tel.: + 380 44 253 9363
Fax: + 380 44 253 2607
E-mail.: [email protected]

if not contact them please...

have you been to Kiev? do you have enough time to go directly to UN representative physical location?

while there aren't any indications on the Asylum Law that mean to give it on account of sexual orientation, there is this:

“Any person who is outside any country of such person’s nationality or, in the case of a person having no nationality, is outside any country in which such person habitually resided, and who is unable or unwilling to avail himself or herself of the protection of that country because of persecution or a well-founded fear of persecution on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion.” - See more at: http://immigrationequality.org/issues/la...Zb2G8.dpuf

belonging to Identobas can be considered life threat on account to belonging to a certain social group

if time is running out study the possibilities of going to Central Europe and then attempt to contact UN representatives there, Ukraine shares borders with Hungary, which as far as I'm concerned is much more LGBT friendly than the Balkans or anywhere in East Europe which are the places more close to Ukraine...

I do hope it goes well for you and you don't get deported back to Georgia..

Good luck with that, Sergo.

I wish I could help you. I am sending you all my hopes and prays. It's disgusting that we are still treated like that. We are all here for you.

I just wish I could do more.
An eye for an eye