Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need an opinion
Regardless if why he's not interested apparently he's not, as since the last time we saw each other he's not responded to my texts so oh well, was fun a couple times. He knows my number.

Richard

He is right...FOR HIM.

He is not right....for you.

I am the same way. I dont want someone boring and dull, who will agree with everything I say.
I want someone with their own mind, preferably "opposite opinions" on most things, but with everything else in common......as you described.

I like constructive debating and arguing. This seems to be a turn off for everybody but me.
My friends dont even like to talk to me TOO much, because they know somewhere down the line in the conversation, Im gonna want to argue some point...and they just dont want to get into it.

You ever see these movies where two people are REALLY getting into an argument, then all of a sudden they are "all over each other"? Thats me. Well, maybe not the "all over each other" type thing, but arguing with someone I love would be SUPER NICE.

Some people cannot deal with reality so severe. So they have to have "carbon copies" of themselves, or someone who fits a pre-constructed "type" they think they will be happy with.

Since he's thrown a "wrench" into the works, I think its probably best you end it and stay friends, or just "buddies" (if you know what I mean). Any serious relationship with this guy will end in some kind of bad fight.

I know it aint worth two cents....
but theres my two cents.

Well, for me that's amazing!
Because with your diferences you both already have something to talk about. I mean if he likes ketchup and you like mustard. You will both try to convince why the other is better ! For me that's funny. I have a friend like that and we're always "arguing" but in a healthy and funny way Smile. Opposite Attrack.

How boring would our life be if we dated only clones of our self.Rolleyes

Terry and I are two very different people, right down to recreational activities.
It's great that we do not agree on many things and I respect his opinion and he mine on things.

A relationship is hard work the key to making it work is trust and respect of other opinions and picking your battles.
It's much to easy to view your partner as an extension of yourself ,but that is so very demeaning to him.

You are both different there is no doubt of that ,but you can make it work by agreeing to disagree on things and seeing the relationship as two people committed to spending their time with each other.

You should hear some of the things Terry and I disagree on , from politics to rugby league teams, authors ,historians, relgion ......
But when it come to ethics and morals we are on the same page and have even managed to accept the others view.

Can you make it work ? Yes
Is it hard work for both of you ? Absolutely

jus to add: a relationship needs to complement ...to quote jerry Maguire: you complete me

however two halves make a whole is the most interesting part of the journey to become one union

The gist I got form your post was that he was trying to break it off through a text? Maybe that is cool after one date, but it seems a rapport was established here and warranted at least a sit-down face-to-face to talk about it. Even if I have misconstrued it, texting is not a way to say what he said. Again, IMHO he should have said it in person. Maybe he felt he was getting scared and felt he had to bale quickly. Eating a meal with some one is a bonding ritual. In fact the word "companion" originally meant "bread fellow, messmate" (mess is an arcahic word for food, still used in the military, as mess hall) When someone 'breaks bread' with me I think I am more deserving than some text telling me we are different.

I am a literary type and always look at my dates' bookshelves to see what they read. One time I got to this fellow's place and all that was on his shelf were copies of Soap Opera Digest. That was a big red flag. We seemed to mesh but it ended after three months. We were on different levels, obviously. I think that differences are important but there needs to be a meeting ground in some area, unless it is just friends-with-benefits or a "regular Friday night".

I do hope I haven't misconstrued the scenario you gave us.

Slider

I wasn't really looking to forge a deep long lasting relationship after three dates, but I liked him, and to me the whole back and forth where we disagreed was one of the pleasant things about being around him. As I told him a number of times I like talking to smart people who disagree with me.
I'm disappointed, but, life goes on, that's the way things go.

Richard

ardus Wrote:I wasn't really looking to forge a deep long lasting relationship after three dates, but I liked him, and to me the whole back and forth where we disagreed was one of the pleasant things about being around him. As I told him a number of times I like talking to smart people who disagree with me.
I'm disappointed, but, life goes on, that's the way things go.

Richard

You can "argue" with me, any day!!
:eyebrow-wiggle-smil

:-D

Richard

Slidezone303 Wrote:The gist I got form your post was that he was trying to break it off through a text? Maybe that is cool after one date, but it seems a rapport was established here and warranted at least a sit-down face-to-face to talk about it. Even if I have misconstrued it, texting is not a way to say what he said. Again, IMHO he should have said it in person. Maybe he felt he was getting scared and felt he had to bale quickly. Eating a meal with some one is a bonding ritual. In fact the word "companion" originally meant "bread fellow, messmate" (mess is an arcahic word for food, still used in the military, as mess hall) When someone 'breaks bread' with me I think I am more deserving than some text telling me we are different.

I am a literary type and always look at my dates' bookshelves to see what they read. One time I got to this fellow's place and all that was on his shelf were copies of Soap Opera Digest. That was a big red flag. We seemed to mesh but it ended after three months. We were on different levels, obviously. I think that differences are important but there needs to be a meeting ground in some area, unless it is just friends-with-benefits or a "regular Friday night".

I do hope I haven't misconstrued the scenario you gave us.

Slider

I wouldn't say he was trying to break it off with a text as I don't think there was anything to break off at that point. We had only spent two nights together, the night he had to leave early was to be the third.
Richard