Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need some advice of solo travel
Hi everybody,

I recently am thinking if I would like to make a travel again, alone. Since I am gay in the closet and I also want to get some extra "benefit" from the travel, I always travel alone. After several times, I found it is actually really really boring to travel just with myself. And each time I planned to go have fun in some local gay bars but afterwards I draw back considering about the safety and I am also not confident enough. It would be embarrassing if nobody come to talk to me. I know I am really passive. But I am pretty sensitive for that.

I am now staying in a small city of Finland, do not know any gay and probably only several according to the population. Sometimes just really hope a company. (Well, most likely I am not gonna stay here after, but just want a company when I am here.) So I want to travel out to meet someone.

What should I do? Need some suggestions or someone would like to travel together?:biggrin:

Yours
TAB

Perhaps being in small cities aren't the best choice for finding other gay men. It may take a bit of googling for activities or meeting places in larger cities to actually find something. I'm sure you know by now that most of them aren't going to come to you.

Definitely not, that is why I want to travel to some big cities and meet someone there. I know it all depends on myself. Nobody can help. Only need to be more confident, less shy and walk out there.

Hi tab Smile

If you always draw back you,ll never know and i bet somebody would talk to you… just be prepared they may want more than talk. Act like your just going for a drink, if you meet someone its a bonus, know they are just human like you and other people are lonely, more than ever before, if your like that guy in your avi, you have a head start. Smile

And like lycanthropist says, maybe larger citys would be better for your needs.

I LOVE to Travel, and it can be one of the most amazing and rewarding experiences of your life. I have done a lot of traveling on my own and I think there are a couple of keys to having a good solo adventure.

First off, go somewhere that you are going to have something to do besides just go to bars. Gay clubs and bars are fun, but you can't just spend your time in bars you'll do nothing but get drunk.

Don't be afraid to do "touristy" stuff. The first time I went to NYC i went up to the observation deck of the Empire State Building at night. I thought it was going to be hey look there's the city. IT WAS AMAZING. One of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. I spent almost 45 minutes up there taking pictures and just being generally amazed by it.

If the place your going has something unique about it, then by all means see it. You'd be surprised how interesting the world's largest strawberrry can be.

Use social media to meet people. Everyone is down on Grindr but I have met some of the most interesting people and had some incredibly good experiences with people I have met on Grindr. It's a tool in your tool box might as well use it.

Stay safe. I've accidentally put myself into some questionable situations because I wasn't well prepared. Don't ever go anywhere without the money to get a hotel, even if your planning to stay with a friend, sometimes friends leave you stranded and sleeping at the Airport (true story).

Have a plan. It's easy to go somewhere, check into a hotel, and then spend a week doing nothing because you have no idea what's there. Especially in a foriegn country. If you are going to a place they speak a different language than you get a dictionary and at least learn how to say hi, ask where the bathroom is, say excuse me, order a drink, and say thank you.

Don't be scared to try new things. Find out what English Bitter tastes like, try those Rocky Mountain Oysters, eat that Steak Tartare. If you leave a new place not having done something you haven't done before you've wasted your time.

Have fun, be safe, travel, meet new people. I met a Communist in a bar in London. I'm a soldier in the United States Army and one of the most memorable conversations I ever had was with a Communist in a London Bar.

Tell us about your adventures.

Richard

As others have suggested, use the tools you have available, and if they are not available in China (I know net censorship is pretty hot there) then use them in the first country you stop off in Smile

Gumtree
Craiglist
Travel-Buddies.com

These sites allow you to plan trips and meet people on the way. I would be wary of openly announcing your sexuality on such sites, but they are good places to start. If you have decided where you would like to go, why not post something on the craiglist site for that country, in the travel partners section Smile

Good Luck!

ObW
X

Woo, Those are amazing and super useful advice! I know I can get some from here. Thank you all, guys!

Try couchsurfing or hospitality club. These are two websites where people offer each other free accommodation or just company. You'd rather not find sex there but there is a big gay community from cities all over the world so it's definitely worthwhile.

You made me curious. What is the name of the town? Wink