Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need some help with a video game
I am a Video Game developer and I am currently developing a video game with a homosexual main character.

I felt it necessary to find an environment like this one in order to voice a few concerns I have before I go forward with this process. My goal here is to make a video game that is not offensive, nor is it in your face about the fact that the main character is homosexual, but I do in the early portion of the game, want to hide it without the players knowledge. Set them up for a small gasp and shrug of an okay so he's gay moment.

I want to avoid giving too much of my project away until I have some working value to it, but I was wondering as a heterosexual person making this game, is there any particular advice you can give as far what would be deemed offensive to the homosexual community as a whole. so I can make this game accessible to everyone with the minimal possible discomfort.

I thank you for any advice given.

sorry the above should

What genre is your project? If the main character being gay has little to do with the actual game or plot, then I think you're pretty much set, you're not gonna offend anybody.

My advice would be don't worry, not many people are offended that easily. Big Grin Just go with your instincts, but remember not to over-sexualise things, unless that's the point of the game. That's what end up offending people usually.

Oh this is gonna be good...

Faga1

The genre is a side scrolling action game with a super hero as the main character, based loosely on Luke Cage's type of super hero. The fact that he's gay, is really just more of a motivation in the lead in mission.

Also worth noting the main character is going to be married to his partner.

As far as sexualizing, not an issue. Thanks for the encouraging words thus far

oh fun, remember to link us when you've completed it whenever that is Smile

Yes let us know when you completed , I'd love to play it :biggrin:
as for the offensive thing, I agree with the above, people are not getting offended so easily. I am sure you have an idea where the line is Wink

as long you make him normal and not try to make him all cliche and annoying i'll be fine by it. social media always makes up look like BLAH. make him a badass.

Badass is the plan ;-)

jaythegamer Wrote:the genre is a side scrolling action game with a super hero as the main character, based loosely on luke cage's type of super hero. The fact that he's gay, is really just more of a motivation in the lead in mission.

Also worth noting the main character is going to be married to his partner.

As far as sexualizing, not an issue. Thanks for the encouraging words thus far

we want romance!!! Or well I do :p

Since you want to create a video game and not a comic book series, I don’t think you have too much to worry about.

From my experience, the job descriptions for a super hero, is to engage and overpower the super villain(s), therefore he or she is usually focused on foiling the super villains(s) and saving mankind - when on duty. If he is doing his job correctly and wants to keep his status as a super hero there will be few if any opportunities for any type of misbehavior on his part. It’s mostly kill, capture, neutralize - that sort of thing.

Perhaps you should create him like any other straight male super hero; it’s in the job description that super heroes can kick anybody ass and must be a remarkably brave person – no shock there. He gonna be dressed in some sort of tight attire, probably with a great physique –no shock there –union rules. He will have super powers that nobody else has –nope, not a shocker there either. And, of course there is the moral clause – he always does the right thing - no matter the temptation.

So all in all I don’t see a problem – as long as you animate his spouse as male for the big reveal moment – I think you are good to go since married gay people behave much the same way as straight married people do.

Oh, I almost forgot, please keep in mind - the moral clause stays in place even when not on duty – union rules, even one slip up and he loses all his super powers! I do hope the spouse will be mindful of the morals clause.

Good luck with the game - the only real difference between your guy and Superman is who they are married to and sometime I wonder about Superman. He was into showing off his underwear long before Calvin Klein.