Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sofia Coppola's Bling Ring vs American Hustle
I loves Sofia Coppola, I absolutely loves her.

Her movies are brilliant, daring, entertaining, thought-provoking and original.

She's one of the very few filmmakers today that doesn't follow the rules and does exactly the movies she wants to make.

Moreover, she doesn't just know how to tell her stories right, she always finds the right stories to tell. She makes movies that matter

Take a look at The Bling Ring. It's not just entertaining and witty, it is also a great social commentary. Everything you need to know about today's youth is there: smartphones, consumerism, friendship, school, sexuality, drugs, it's all there.

Now compare this to the other heist movie everyone's been talking about: American Hustle.

I can't say much about American Hustle because I slept through most of the movie but this is the exact opposite of The Bling Ring: it tries really hard to be both entertaining and thought provoking (maybe some kind of metaphor of the financial crisis, I don't know and I don't care) but fails miserably at both.

I haven't seen American Hustle but I wasn't a very big fan of The Bling Ring. Like you said it touches upon themes that are very prominent in youth culture but I felt like Coppola only touched on the surface rather than delving deeper to actually explore the reasons behind our obsession with fame and glamour. I'm a bigger fan of her 'Virgin Suicides' adaptation even if she basically just followed the book down to really minor details.

Loved Sophia Coppola’s "lost in translation" cant say ive seen any others, not heard of "The Bling Ring" what you say its about doesnt appeal to me.

They say American Hustle is just overrated...

I still have to watch it before I can say anything

Evan88 Wrote:They say American Hustle is just overrated...

I still have to watch it before I can say anything

Definitely overrated.

It's a brilliant cast but the script is pretentious and stupid. And I couldn't stand the music soundtrack constantly blaring at us.

If this thing beats 12 years a slave at the oscars, I'll stop watching the ceremony.

Haven't seen either

but if we're talking about Sofia Coppola..."the virgin suicides" is still one of my all time favorite movies