Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Needing a good "hook"
Why did I waste all of that time throwing out ideas to have you just up and change your mind. I should contact the El Dorado Chapter of Fairies and have them pay you a few nightly visits - that should learn ya all but good!:biggrin:

Trust me, you don't want fairies paying you a late night visit....:tongue:

Ok... well if that is what you want to do. So be it.

archubbycub Wrote:Ok so I'm wanting to write a novel. And seeing as my favorite genre is Fantasy/Urban Fantasy that's the sort of novel I want to write. And I've come up with several characters for this novel, and I even have the opening sequence worked out in my head. What I'm having trouble coming up with us what I like to call "the hook" of the story. That element that draws the reader in and makes them want to keep turning the pages till the end. So far all I can come up with is the same old cliche idea of "bad guy wants to take over/destroy the world, good guy is the only one that can stop him." *YAWN*

Any writers out there that can give me some advice?

Really interesting this.
I'm currently half way through writing my own debut novel 'De Twinky Coat' (I even have a Facebook Page for it) and this story is what I would class Urban Fantasy, being set in a world very like our own with a minimum of totally fantastical or magical elements (No Harry Potter-style magic brooms, etc.)
While I have to keep my cards close to my chest on the exact details, it involves a battle between good gay guys and bad gay guys, and the bad gay guys are very camp; possible parallels to this are the average Batman scenario with madly camp villains, and weird but realistic weaponry; or a book called 'City of Bohane' by Kevin Barry. However, don't assume that my story or plot will be anything like these, but those who have read the above will almost certainly enjoy my book, which has numerous convoluted plot strands, double-entendres, hidden traitors, and above all a LOT of spoofs on well-known famous works, from books by Dickens to George Orwell to John Wyndham or Ray Bradbury.

Best of luck Archubbycub, and do keep us posted on your own work and I'll keep people up to date about when my own book is available!