Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nervous feelings about moving
I move ALL the time being in the Army. What helps me reduce the inevitable stress is

Plan it out

Be prepared

Stick to the plan (as much as possible)

Leave it to a professional.

I've always used movers when PCSing never had a problem.

All you have to do is supervise them.

If it's an affordable option for the two of you I strongly recommend it.

As for the rest, make sure you're prepared.

Thing will be different.

Especially moving from Seattle to Knoxville. Knoxville is a beautiful area but the peopleare VERY VERY different from Seattle. Be prepared for a culture shock. You will get used to it though.

Richard

SeaDevil Wrote:So, I'm going to move no matter what. Just wanted to put that out there.

That aside:
I'm moving with my boyfriend to Knoxville, TN from Seattle, Wa. I've never lived anywhere else before (well, outside of the area, I grew up nearby in a mountain town) and don't know anyone else there. He's moving because of work, so when faced with a life with him or none, I want him.

However, he's really not a "let's talk about or feelings" guy and I'm a pretty sensitive dude with some emotional regulation issues.

Anyone have any advice on how to feel a little less anxious? He'd do anything for me, he just isn't the sensitive type.

I'm moving to the South too (Arkansas). I think the way to be less anxious is to focus on what is good about the place you're moving to. What excites you about Knoxville?

At the moment, nothing in particular. I've been in TN one day in my whole life, lol. It wasn't really a large enough of a sample to extract any useful information. I didn't even talk to anyone but my boyfriend's nephew.

Tennessee has Beautiful mountains on the east side

If you want cities it has Memphis, which is an actual city, and Nashville, which is a tourist town pretending to be a city.

I liked living in Clarksville TN pretty well, not perfect but not too bad.

Richard

SeaDevil Wrote:Addendum:
One doesn't have to be a "sniveling", "whiney", or "crying" person to be sensitive. Attributing those attributes to it, as well as being derogatory in your use of the word woman, is a pretty ugly thing to do.

Im from the south. That isnt a derogatory term down here.
"Dont be a woman" is still used today. Meaning, dont be overly sensitive about everything.

Its no more derogatory than saying "Dont be a baby".
Which people all the USA still use.

If youre going to live in the south, youre going to have to get used to a whole bunch of "offensive" terms.

SeaDevil Wrote:That's probably the most useful advice I've gotten from anyone in a month. I'm actually still getting used to how I feel with a mood stabilizer. It's nice to know it's normal and there isn't anything to do about it, even if that seems odd to anyone, lol.

Your doing fine.

There is a lot of anxiety ridden experiences in life. Big ones are divorce, start of a new job, change of a position in a job, getting pregnant, moving - even across town can be a huge challenge.

Most people are actually great actors and can hide their anxiety from the world. While feeling like they need to scream in panic...