Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Japanese architecture
This is notby any means traditional Japanese architecture but is does embody the essence of simplicity while at the same time being in fact a fairly complex structure. Ingenious.

http://www.refinery29.uk/2016/09/124374/...eams#slide
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

That's beautiful. I really like that bath tub.

Emiliano Wrote:That's beautiful. I really like that bath tub.

Not only beautiful but practical as well

Too simplistic, imitation primitive, too abstract for me. It's crude and rural, and not very imaginative. It reminds me of a church from the inside. The 'peaks' are nothing but imitations on thatched roofs without their function to justify their existence. A bit juvenile, in my opinion.

If you want great architecture from Japan, Shell House by Kotaro Ide in Nagano is an example:

http://architizer.com/projects/shell-house2/

http://www.archdaily.com/11602/shell-art...architects

[Image: the-shell-house-in-the-forest-by-artechn...ects-3.jpg]

[Image: Shell-House-Karuizawa-Japan-by-Artechnic...ts-017.jpg]

[Image: shell-house-japan-3.jpg]

[Image: shell05.jpg]

[Image: the-shell-house-in-the-forest-by-artechn...cts-23.jpg]

[Image: JAU_Experimental-Houses-in-Japan-Classics14.jpg]

[Image: Shell-Residence-by-Kotaro-Ide-photo-Naca...zer-11.jpg]

[Image: Shell-Residence-by-Kotaro-Ide-photo-Naca...zer-12.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_nbmjd91MUy1tobu78o2_1280.jpg]

Now that is something outstanding. Elegant, unique, imaginative, and sophisticated design. I did a project on this house in my first year in architecture.

(Something for [MENTION=21558]Emiliano[/MENTION] -- did you know about this house?).
''Do I look civilized to you?''

meridannight Wrote:Too simplistic, imitation primitive, too abstract for me. It's crude and rural, and not very imaginative. It reminds me of a church from the inside. The 'peaks' are nothing but imitations on thatched roofs without their function to justify their existence. A bit juvenile, in my opinion.

I'm sorry that you didn't like it @Meridiannight. It was supposed to be a country retreat and a specific purpose that I think that it fulfills:

Quote:Suma designed Jikka for two women, both in their 60s, who call the site home, but are also stewards of its many facets. One of the women is a social worker. The other is a cook. Together, they are dedicated to providing services to the community, including a meal service that delivers to the local town.

Imitation? Imitation of what? I would hardly call it crude. You say that it reminds you of a church inside but a thatched roof on the outside. I might possibly agree with the first but not the second. The "church" like appearance would help induce a peaceful, spiritual state, perfect for a country retreat.

We will have to agree to notr agree and accept that there are different tastes for everyone.

The example that you gave is equally interesting.

LONDONER Wrote:Imitation? Imitation of what? I would hardly call it crude. You say that it reminds you of a church inside but a thatched roof on the outside. I might possibly agree with the first but not the second. The "church" like appearance would help induce a peaceful, spiritual state, perfect for a country retreat.

The first thing that came to my mind when I saw it was this:

[Image: stock-photo-a-clay-and-thatched-roof-hut...826391.jpg]

[Image: stock-photo-thatched-roof-huts-are-the-c...826226.jpg]

It's a typical thatched-roof design. It imitates primitiveness without actually having any functionality to those design elements mimicking their primitive counterparts that it has put on display. If you want primitiveness, there are more tasteful ways to achieve that (don't take it personally, just my personal viewpoint).

To each their own. I prefer more genuineness in architecture.

meridannight Wrote:Too simplistic, imitation primitive, too abstract for me. It's crude and rural, and not very imaginative. It reminds me of a church from the inside. The 'peaks' are nothing but imitations on thatched roofs without their function to justify their existence. A bit juvenile, in my opinion.

If you want great architecture from Japan, Shell House by Kotaro Ide in Nagano is an example:

http://architizer.com/projects/shell-house2/

http://www.archdaily.com/11602/shell-art...architects

[Image: the-shell-house-in-the-forest-by-artechn...ects-3.jpg]

[Image: Shell-House-Karuizawa-Japan-by-Artechnic...ts-017.jpg]

[Image: shell-house-japan-3.jpg]

[Image: shell05.jpg]

[Image: the-shell-house-in-the-forest-by-artechn...cts-23.jpg]

[Image: JAU_Experimental-Houses-in-Japan-Classics14.jpg]

[Image: Shell-Residence-by-Kotaro-Ide-photo-Naca...zer-11.jpg]

[Image: Shell-Residence-by-Kotaro-Ide-photo-Naca...zer-12.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_nbmjd91MUy1tobu78o2_1280.jpg]

Now that is something outstanding. Elegant, unique, imaginative, and sophisticated design. I did a project on this house in my first year in architecture.

(Something for [MENTION=21558]Emiliano[/MENTION] -- did you know about this house?).

I hadn't seen that house before, no. But I really like how it blends the inside and the outside. It's also really beautiful.

I remember learning something interesting about Japanese homes - they aren't really built to last. Apparently most Japanese people prefer to build new homes rather than previously lived in ones, which is part of why being an architect in Japan is a really good career. I forget where I read that, otherwise I'd share it, it was a good read. There is a part of me that's really intrigued by art that has a lifespan.

I'm really interested in architecture but I don't have much knowledge of it outside of what's in NYC. I just find it to be one of the most powerful art forms. It has such an incredible influence on how we perceive the world.

Personally I'm in the mood for either of the homes. They both appeal to me right now. Clean, simple, nice lines....

It was a freakanomics podcast I'd heard it on:

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/why-are-...podcast-3/

http://www.archdaily.com/450212/why-japa...ut-housing

That's interesting, [MENTION=21558]Emiliano[/MENTION]. We've had several such 'experimental' houses from Japan pop up as someone's ideal in class at times, and I never saw what the point was. I am a Western mind, a house needs to have longevity to it. 10-30 years is a temporary exhibit, in my terms. There are cases among such experimentation turning up houses with great potential, but most of them cannot form a basis for architectural concept. Although I do like it that there is this place on the planet where architects have a lot of freedom to express themselves like that.

PS. I need to clarify that in my post on the Shell House above, the last image is not of the Shell House itself. It's a house inspired by Shell but not the Shell House itself. I realized my mistake not too long after having posted but I couldn't edit it then anymore. (Weirdly, these pictures of the other house very often get posted in articles about the Shell House, without mentioning the distinction, which makes me wonder if the editors aren't even aware they're presenting misinformation).

PPS. [MENTION=18457]LONDONER[/MENTION], I'm gonna have to offer you a hug. Didn't mean to be so combative earlier.

meridannight Wrote:That's interesting, [MENTION=21558]Emiliano[/MENTION]. We've had several such 'experimental' houses from Japan pop up as someone's ideal in class at times, and I never saw what the point was.

So what is your ideal house? Architecturally speaking.