Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My country Government is against Gay, what do i do ?
Leave or hide, hide or leave. So, leave.

I am sorry to hear you're having to endure this horrendous ordeal. There're a number of options you have each with their advantages and disadvantages:

1. Emigrate
2. Relocate to another region within your own country which *may* be a bit more tolerant of gays and other minority groups.
3. Join with others and stand up for your rights.
4. Don't practice your sexuality. Basically stay in the closet and if someone presses you as to why you aren't married with children etc. etc. just say you've taken a vow of celibacy or something to that effect.

I know these aren't great options though. 3 in particular can be dangerous and requires you to be very brave and make sacrifices in more than one way. 4 isn't much fun as that involves repressing your sexuality though you are more likely to stay safe within your country.

2 may work and the new place may be more tolerant but as it will be the same country (subject to the same laws and all) this may not be likely (though you never know).

1 may seem tempting but you would have to leave everything behind. You would need to learn a whole new language most likely (to perfection which is not easy!), adapt to a whole new culture and a completely different way of life not to mention new laws, customs, location, and the new country may be very bureaucratic in the way they do things, especially ones like the UK and France. Plus you may feel a loss of pride if you do have to do this and a loss of status as you take on a new identity of a 'migrant' or even 'refugee'.

Personally I would choose some mixture of 3 and 4. I'd keep a low profile and at the same time try and rebel against the system (nonviolently if possibly - Mahatma Ghandi style).