Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Phone private searching help
So I got a galaxy s5 a few days ago. I love it, but when I went into incognito mode in google chrome to go to redtube.com it saved the site to the autofill form when the keyboard is open. Obviously this is a flaw, as incognito mode should not save anything. It's not in the history but it's right there where everyone is more likely to see it. Does anyone know how to fix this? I've been going through settings and what not but I can't find it.

Ok so I sort of figured it out. Apparently if you hold the autofill selection (the words in blue above the keyboard) you can forget the learned word. However if you type it again, it will relearn the word. Is there any way to force the phone to not learn certain words or websites?

I guess I found the fix to it. You can turn off personalized data in the keyboard, which will remove any words you have made from the keyboards memory. The phone can still find words from the internet, but it won't have your own memory. I wish it would just not remember things when in incognito mode. If anyone has a better solution to this please comment.

Seems to me it would involve saving them in a list in settings, which would be just as incriminating as the browse history.

If you really want private searching and browsing, that can't be traced, not only by leaving tracks and traces on your phone but also by anyone on the site you visit or anywhere in between, use TOR (The Onion Router). There's an app for phones and one for PC. I'm not sure about Mac/Apple but probably. Be sure to get the TOR app and the TOR browser that goes with it and run the test to make sure it's running and secure before you browse.

I guess someone needs to educate me about the importance of this because I'm not understanding why.

Edit- And I guess I am talking about the deeper, having something completely untraceable, I can see some practical reasons to not have your browsing history visible to an average, casual user on a device where it might be seen by parents, roommates, work, etc or is shared, but why would a single person living their own need something more and so secretive?

Activism is one use for it, news gathering, whatever you might want to use it for. Looking up information related to something you're researching where revealing it might compromise your research or safety/security. I never use or have needed it but I have it just in case. I rarely use a lot of the ~185 apps I have on my phone but I like to be prepared anyway. You never know.

It's main function is to prevent the operator(s) of the site that you are browsing from knowing you were/are there. If you are sleuthing around looking for information, for example. If all you want is to keep anyone who might obtain access to your phone or computer from finding out where you've been, there are very simple and easy ways to accomplish that by never allowing it to be recorded on the device in the first place. TOR is meant for keeping the site you're browsing from seeing you.
Born This Way - And Proud To Be

It's main function is to prevent the operator(s) of the site that you are browsing from knowing you are/were there. If all you want to do is to prevent anyone who might obtain access to your phone or computer from finding out where you've been, there are simple and easy ways to prevent that by not allowing it to be recorded on the device in the first place.
Born This Way - And Proud To Be

Radbot42 Wrote:I guess I found the fix to it. You can turn off personalized data in the keyboard, which will remove any words you have made from the keyboards memory. The phone can still find words from the internet, but it won't have your own memory. I wish it would just not remember things when in incognito mode. If anyone has a better solution to this please comment.

they are two separate apps: a browser and a keyboard. a browser is in an incognito mode. you can install another keyboard and change them on everytime if you are concerned of the words stored in a keyboards memory. you can even set the other keyboard not to store words (if it has such a feature). there are several 3rd party keyboards to buy or free...