Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New (Question on Faith and Homosexuality, the relationship between the two)
Hi This might be something a little different

Let me introduce myself
I am a straight atheist man. I recently for want of a better word 'infiltrated' a Christian forum, as going on as an atheist had me kicked. So I thought I would pose as a christian. It is quite an experience as I had to remind myself that I did not believe in god, that is how much I am thinking like a Christian.

Putting myself in some very far right Christian shoes has bought up some interesting thoughts relating to homosexuality.

Could people answer as accurately and as truthfully as possible?

I was wondering anyone here who is gay/lesbian has had their lifestyle influenced by any religious beliefs they might have. Positive or Negative

Has any one of a religious persuasion tried to influence your sexuality, successfully or not.

There are a couple of people on this forum who said the following of the gay life style (both having been gay/bi and either stopped because of their beliefs or stopped because it was based on un-resolved isssues)

Now with most people in faith who rage against people's choices in any area I tend to ignore, but because of their experiences I heard these guys out. I will try and phrase the questions as nuetrally as possible though.

Do you find there is more peer pressure in exclusive gay bars, gay gatherings etc

Is there a larger culture of casual sex (if you can't say how prevalent would you say it is) in the homosexual community than the straight one.

Is the gay lifestyle transfixed more on 'the body' than on interpersonal relationships. I realise this can seem like a stupid question when we go anywhere and are bombarded with sexual imagery. The question boils down to has anyone ever found themselves depressed because what they want out of being homosexual is not what they are getting. Like trying to find a long term partner and not being able to.

What do you think of Christian perspectives on homosexuality. I will note that even the Christians I spoke to who 'used' to be gay, were plagued with guilt and felt they had to continually repent

The whole point of this is to gather view points. I am not trying to stoke any arguments, so post away, NOT JUST IF YOU HAVE NEGATIVE EXPERIENCES!

no no no no no no !!

"I will note that even the Christians I spoke to who 'used' to be gay" THEY WERE NEVER GAY!!!!!

NO YOU ARE JUST A PEEPING TOM!!! IF YOU REALY WANT TO KNOW GO OUT INTO THE GAY COMMUNITY LIVE AMOUNGST THEM. MAKE SURE YOU TELL THEM YOR ARE STREIGHT.

Okay

Can you give me a day or two to get my head round this thread !!!!!

Thanks

Is there something wrong with this comment.....

Quote:I will note that even the Christians I spoke to who 'used' to be gay, were plagued with guilt and felt they had to continually repent

Or am I just being a drama queen

[Image: snig-1.gif] [Image: snig-1.gif] [Image: snig-1.gif]

Hey, I'm Slamet from Indonesia, And i think I'm a gay and i'm moslem too. I think life is only a choose. God have give the religions in this world for the way people life. And in my religion, gay is forbidden so it's not so easy to be gy here.

StarTwister
"Okay

Can you give me a day or two to get my head round this thread !!!!!

Thanks

Is there something wrong with this comment.....

Quote:
I will note that even the Christians I spoke to who 'used' to be gay, were plagued with guilt and felt they had to continually repent
Or am I just being a drama queen "

Think he is writing a book. I do not want to contribute.
Now look who is being a drama Queen.Cheerleader2 Cheerleader2 Cheerleader2

Hi Harry, and welcome to Gayspeak first and foremost ...

I've mused over your questions, and have the following answers for you (from my perspective) :-

harry Wrote:I was wondering anyone here who is gay/lesbian has had their lifestyle influenced by any religious beliefs they might have. Positive or Negative

Well speaking for myself, I hold a number of religious views which draw from multiple sources, so I am not constrained by the tenets of any one religion to the exclusion of others ... consequently I personally do not hold any religious views that embrace a damning of homosexuality - so on the flipside (has my homosexual lifestyle ever been positively influenced by my religious views) I would say yes actually it has ... simply because I believe in a God that holds no malice towards his children for the way they were born, and so that sense of warmth and confidence that I perceive when I think of religion does comfort me, yes ...

... but it's important to appreciate that I am not what I would call a religious person - I have religious views, and religious beliefs, but I very much accept what makes sense to me ...

harry Wrote:Has any one of a religious persuasion tried to influence your sexuality, successfully or not.

Yes, and no - they didn't succeed. I cannot embrace any religion that would seek to drive you into a square peg, round hole-style scenario. Homosexuals are homosexuals - what's wrong with that ? Forcing people to pretend to be something they are not is just going to bring sadness and misfortune further down the line.

harry Wrote:Do you find there is more peer pressure in exclusive gay bars, gay gatherings etc

Nope, can't say I've ever experienced that - although I am sure there are topics and situations where it would apply, just as it would in mixed venues, or when any group of same-sex people get together, gay or straight (or a combination thereof) ...

harry Wrote:Is there a larger culture of casual sex (if you can't say how prevalent would you say it is) in the homosexual community than the straight one.

A difficult question to answer ... I'd say no ? On the basis that I think to say yes would enforce a stereotype that doesn't sit well with me, plus it suggests that heterosexuals are less inclined to what people might consider sluttish behaviour, and that's not correct either. I would say that whenever two men or two women are in a relationship together, the dynamic of that relationship is slightly different, as it doesn't fall within the VERY well-trodden man, woman, settle down, have kids, bla bla bla style formula, and so whilst there are MANY couples that are perfectly happy being monogamous, so too are there many couples that prefer open relationships.

Given that the concept of an open relationship is something that runs reasonably contrary to the image people have of a stable heterosexual relationship, it is common practise for people to assume or suggest that open relationships, casual relationships and relationships where physical pleasure is craved above all else are the domain of same-sex relationships and, as I have said before, I do not believe this is an appropriate OR reasonable slur to level at us.

harry Wrote:Is the gay lifestyle transfixed more on 'the body' than on interpersonal relationships. I realise this can seem like a stupid question when we go anywhere and are bombarded with sexual imagery. The question boils down to has anyone ever found themselves depressed because what they want out of being homosexual is not what they are getting. Like trying to find a long term partner and not being able to.

No, it's not a stupid question, but no - I don't think it's the case. You need only look as far as your local newsagents to see how many women's magazines have images of beautiful girls on the front next to headlines like "My Daddy was decapitated by a High-Speed Train" and "Random killer flesh-eating bugs infested by son's lunchbox !!" to see how messed-up the messages are these days ... but bombarding women of all ages with advertising and imagery that enforces the notion that they must look like *this* (shows picture) to be considered attractive has been done for DECADES, so it's certainly not just homosexuals that are singled-out on that basis.

harry Wrote:What do you think of Christian perspectives on homosexuality. I will note that even the Christians I spoke to who 'used' to be gay, were plagued with guilt and felt they had to continually repent

I think it's important for you to answer this question before I answer yours ... do you mean biblical perspectives on homosexuality ? As in what the bible says of it ? Or do you mean Christian interpretation of biblical perspectives on homosexuality ? As in what practising Christians say of homosexuality ? As I THINK they are sometimes quite different animals ...

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

I am talking about both perspectives, and if anyone thinks a Christian who has a negative view of homosexuality, whether or not you think they interpet their faith wrong etc.

I will note that even the Christians I spoke to who 'used' to be gay, were plagued with guilt and felt they had to continually repent

note I put quotations round that word, as i they can say what they want, but I wouldnt really know the truth of their sexuality

Yes, these guys were plagued with guilt, starting discussions of it whereever they could to see what people thought.

I have known a few gay people in my life, liked some of them not liked others just like anyone, don't fancy going into a gay bar etc though yar.

Thanks for the replies

I believe we have been misled in our faith and Religious Christian scripts have been changed and modified to serve the purpose to control the masses. From what i know Jesus didnt say in any of his teachings something less favourable about homosexuality the ones left behind to continue his teaching did.

Every religion was created to serve a purpose and of the time they were started. Times change. Whatever was the need of the times back then in the age we are living the need is for Unity. Religious and Political convictions do not favour this purpose right now. There is a shift though taking place to the world.

There are Christians who go to church every Sunday but few of them practise being fair compassionate and kind the way i personally do in my every day life. If being gay makes me less worthy to God's eyes then is something i will have to face and at the moment live my life the best way i can with what i was given.
If or when Jesus comes back will have to start the clearing from the people who say they represent him because they have got it so wrong behind closed doors. He should start from the Vatican , and the hardcore religious and politics fanatics.

Yeah people came to me to preach me to some told i am gay and they started. Ignorance is what they build upon, it didnt work out very well.

As for the differences between straight and gay life style there are but not as many or the way they eye sees. Straight couples are socially accepted gay couples are not or not always or everywhere. This has its consequences. Some straights sleep around some dont -the same for gay. Comes down to the individual and gay doesnt come to the equation as much as other factors.

Why are you interested in homosexuality though? How come you started this thread?

There have been so many debates about religion and homosexuality and it all ends the same.........
they don't go together, no one ever wins the argument !!!!

This is by no means a pop at you Harry, you are allowed to have your say as much anyone else on a public forum.

I just think it's a little boring debating the rights and wrongs of homosexuality and religion when we should be helping and encouraging our friends on GS like Rock on Me who has such a tough time living a life he fully deserves to live...........

Xyxthumbs

Just my opinion

Love You Long Time