Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Sherlock Holmes movie where his character is gay 'could turn audiences off'
[img2=left]http://www.gayspeak.com/forum/images/news/judelaw.jpg[/img2]Plans to give legendary detective Sherlock Holmes a gay twist have been attacked by a film critic who said it could turn audiences off.

Director Guy Ritchie's version will see Holmes and Dr Watson sharing a bed and wrestling. Ritchie has not said the characters will be gay, but there is likely to be plenty of homoerotic tension.

The film, based on the detective stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, features Robert Downey Jr as the famous detective and Jude Law as his sidekick, Dr Watson.

Former New York Post film critic Michael Medved told the newspaper: "There's not a seething, bubbling hunger to see straight stars impersonating homosexuals. I think they're just trying to generate controversy."

Medved, who is a self-proclaimed conservative and famous for adding a family suitability rating to his film reviews, added: "They know that making Holmes and Watson homosexual will take away two-thirds of their box office. Who is going to want to see Downey Jr and Law make out? I don't think it would be appealing to women. Straight men don't want to see it."

However, Jason Starr, a New York-based thriller writer, defended the move. He said: "This sounds like exactly the type of updating the series needs to attract a new generation. Playing up the homoerotic undercurrents in 'The Talented Mr Ripley' worked rather well. If Conan Doyle was writing today, he would have been much more provocative with the characters."

Downey Jr revealed the new twist in an interview with the News of the World in February.

He said the pair will have lots of sweaty grappling scenes.

"We're two men who happen to be roommates, wrestle a lot and share a bed. It's bad-ass. Guy [Ritchie] wanted to make this about the relationship between Watson and Holmes. They're both mean and complicated," he said.

The film is set to be released on Boxing Day.
Note: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant free message. However, I do concede, a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Watson: Is that a cucumber in your shorts or are you just happy to see me?
Holmes: Indubitably Watson, indubitably! Roflmao

Hello Andy, Xyxwave Wow a gay Sherlock Holmes sounds interesting. Am sure I read somewhere that Conan Doyle hinted in some novels that Sherlock was gay. I just love Basil Rathbone.Remybussi

Gosh ! I will star in it :biggrin:
[COLOR="Purple"]As I grow to understand less and less,
I learn to love it more and more.
[/COLOR]

Suggesting that Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson were intimate is probably what Conan Doyle intended, in a subdued fashion. Did he not also intimate that Sherlock was a heavy opium user?

princealbertofb Wrote:Did he not also intimate that Sherlock was a heavy opium user?
I believe so.

I have never read the books, and i have nothing against the idea of a gay Sherlock Holmes, but if it was never hinted at in the slightest in the books, then i think its a bad idea.
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so