Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New tunnel building technique
This is not a tunnel boring machine but a different way to build tunnels. The tapered "Lego" blocks are just a modern variation of the technique used by builders over 2,000 years ago. It's the technique of laying them that is new. You can fast forward through parts of the video, but be sure to see the end. Read the brief article too.

http://inhabitat.com/crazy-zipper-truck-...block-ltd/
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Will read the article later but thanks for the post, Londoner. Inhabitat.com looks to be a very interesting site.
I bid NO Trump!

it looks like a good idea but I wonder how long it will last, there's no adhesive used. a lot of companies now look for the fastest cheapest way to get things done.
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]

ceez Wrote:it looks like a good idea but I wonder how long it will last, there's no adhesive used. a lot of companies now look for the fastest cheapest way to get things done.

Adhesive was not necessary when you did the job well. The typical Roman arch and other similar constructions were held in place simply by fitting the stones to each other. Some of those constructions still stand. Granted, tunnels are different.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

Insertnamehere Wrote:Adhesive was not necessary when you did the job well. The typical Roman arch and other similar constructions were held in place simply by fitting the stones to each other. Some of those constructions still stand. Granted, tunnels are different.

I see no difference between tunnels and bridges. The fact is that the more weight applied, the stronger they become. I have seen an example of an arch in Morocco built by Phoenicians over 3,000 years ago.

LONDONER Wrote:I see no difference between tunnels and bridges. The fact is that the more weight applied, the stronger they become. I have seen an example of an arch in Morocco built by Phoenicians over 3,000 years ago.

So the greater the weight, the better the stones fit? Then surely adhesive is not necessary. That's good news then.

I would make a projection about seismic activity on the location though, that could be a problem if it falls within such an area.

This sounds wonderful. I need to expand my dungeon and this sounds perfect!!!! I'm running out of space with the present one,, and am having to put my new tricks into the spare bedrooms which aren't sound proofed <fleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee>
We Have Elvis !!

Insertnamehere Wrote:So the greater the weight, the better the stones fit? Then surely adhesive is not necessary. That's good news then.

The video demonstrated that with the machine on top of the newly built tunnel.

Quote:I would make a projection about seismic activity on the location though, that could be a problem if it falls within such an area.

The Phoenician arch is within an earthquake area and there was a 6.2 earthquake a few weeks ago but after 3,000 years the arch is still standing,

LONDONER Wrote:The Phoenician arch is within an earthquake area and there was a 6.2 earthquake a few weeks ago but after 3,000 years the arch is still standing

Make it an 8.0 and over one now Big Grin

Good to know.

Thats interesting, but tunnel boring machines are still way cooler to me.