Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newcomer here
Hi, there,

Greetings from Shanghai. My name is Alvin. Chinese name: PAN (family name), Jialiang (first name). I used to be shy about my sexuality, but coming out to my father and my one-year stay in Germany have changed my mind. Currently I am in my final year as a postgrad studying literature, have finished my thesis on queer theory, and will probably work as a high school teacher from this September on. I've been thinking about woking for a couple of years and then further my education as a PhD (just a thought).

It feels great to be here and get more connected to the communities. I will definitely be more actively participated here once I get familiar with the website. Smile

hey, welcome mate Wink

Ni hao, Pan Jialiang, huānyíng zai GaySpeak. Welcome
It looks as if you have sorted your future life out, for the moment. How did your father receive the news of your being gay, may I ask? Did you come out to him before you travelled to Germany or did you come out after coming home from Germany? You did not mention your mother? Have you still got your mother and if so, how did she take the news?
You will definitely participate more actively once you get used to the site (grammar check, sorry). Or you will definitely be participating more actively...

... and we will be looking forward to your participation. Confusedmile:

I'm sitting here eating Chinese food as I read your post, although a friend from China tells me that the stuff I like is totally Americanized.

I'm not sure I'd have the patience to teach at the high school level. What are kids that age in your country like, are they more focused?

Anyway, I'm new here too! So far it seems pretty good.,

Hi welcome to GS Smile
An eye for an eye

As long as you are coming, that's all that matters. Welcum, Alvin.

Welcome, hope you enjoy all the interesting conversations on here. Smile

princealbertofb Wrote:Ni hao, Pan Jialiang, huānyíng zai GaySpeak. Welcome
It looks as if you have sorted your future life out, for the moment. How did your father receive the news of your being gay, may I ask? Did you come out to him before you travelled to Germany or did you come out after coming home from Germany? You did not mention your mother? Have you still got your mother and if so, how did she take the news?
You will definitely participate more actively once you get used to the site (grammar check, sorry). Or you will definitely be participating more actively...

... and we will be looking forward to your participation. Confusedmile:

你 (nĭWink 好 (hăo)

Well, I didn't plan to come out at that time. I was having dinner with my father, and we talked a bit about what life could be in the years to come before my departure for Germany. Somehow the conversation reached a point where he said it was fine not to get married as long as I was happy with it. (Apparently, he had no idea that I was gay.) So I took the chance to elaborate on the issue of "not getting married" and said that I had always wanted to share something with him but wondered if he could possible take it. He said go on.... You know the rest of the story.

It was really beyond my expectation that he would be so composed, saying that I needed to take care of myself. Though we rarely bring out this topic again (I guess it still takes time for him to digest the information.), I still regard my father as one of the most open-minded parents. My mom died of asthma more than a decade ago, so I didn't get a chance to tell her more about me.

Thanks for that grammar check. Smile

Matt608 Wrote:I'm sitting here eating Chinese food as I read your post, although a friend from China tells me that the stuff I like is totally Americanized.

I'm not sure I'd have the patience to teach at the high school level. What are kids that age in your country like, are they more focused?

Anyway, I'm new here too! So far it seems pretty good.,

Students are mostly teenagers (16-18). I honestly have the same concern as you do. Guess I will figure it out once I start my teaching career. Smile If it's not my cup of tea, I might work as an editor in a publish house instead.

你 (nĭWink 好 (hăo)

Well, I didn't plan to come out to my father back then. We were having dinner, talking about what life could be in the years to come before my departure for Germany. Somehow the conversation reached a point where he said it was fine not to get married as long as I was happy with it. (Apparently, he had no idea that I was gay.) So I took the chance to elaborate on the issue of "not getting married" and said that I had always wanted to share something with him but wondered if he could possible take it. He said go on, and you know the rest of the story.

It was really beyond my expectation that he would be so composed. He told to take care of myself since not everyone in China would be tolerant with homosexuality. Though we rarely bring out this topic again (I guess it takes time for him to digest the information.), I still regard my father as one of the most open-minded parents I could possibly imagine. My mom died of asthma more than a decade ago, so I didn't get a chance to tell her more about me.

Thanks for the grammar check. Smile