Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
News Sources
Inspired by another thread - in this time of fake news and alternative facts - where do you get your news? Any especially good or interesting news sources that you recommend for others to check out?

Feel free to include physical papers, tv channels, online news, podcasts, radio stations, magazines, anywhere that you go to inform yourself.

And just for fun, if you feel like it, include one source that you'd never trust or would warn others against.

I usually don't read too much into the news but when I do watch news it's typically CBSN, mostly because I don't have cable or satelite and CBSN streams for free.

When I come across some questionable stuff and most everything is twisted and dumbed down. I google it and try to look at different sources, of course there's always chance that google's search results can be skewed to put things in different spots. I mean really though, we're at the mercy of the establishment of media companies to put truthful articles and information. I mean very very few people are going to "C-SPAN" style and read the text of the bill being passed and really know without a shadow of a doubt anything.

If it is radio and I have a choice NPR seems alright, there's a couple NPR stations I can pick up but not the best coverage here in the mountains and most of the FM translators are fairly low powered where the Atlanta stations can be heard up here reasonably well but they're 100 kW as opposed to a few hundred watts.

Otherwise I try not to stick my nose into the news so much as most things in the news just piss me off and and I don't like being upset over shit I can't control...which is pretty much everything if you think about it...
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

https://news.google.com/

one stop shop, access to to local, regional, global news/weather.
categorized with usefull filters like "technology" "Science" etc, access to main email, and the best search engine on the planet Smile.

They also dont do the crap of other places IE (*Sponsored adds like the following) "Guy found house in woods you wont believe what happens next!"
which turns out to be a slideshow with 6 words per page, advertisement everywhere and when you get to the end there exist no substance.
[MENTION=21558]Emiliano[/MENTION]
What about yours? Smile

I'll contribute to my own thread.

I don't usually read newspapers or magazines, but I listen to a lot of podcasts and read a lot of online news.

The news related podcasts/radio shows I've been listening to lately are:
WNYC's On The Media
WNYC's Indivisible
Futuro Media Group's In The Thick
Vox's The Weeds
The Washington Post's Can He Do That?/
Buzz Feed's See Something, Say Something
The New York Times' The Run Up
The NY Times' The Daily
The NY Times' Still Processing
NPR's Latino USA
Slate's Trumpcast
Slate's Political Gabfest
Jacobin Mag's Jacobin Radio
BBC's Global News Podcast
BBC's The Documentary

Even though it's ended, this was one of my favorites: (surprise, surprise)
Panapoly's Our National Conversation About Conversations About Race

The sites I read the news on are:
The New York Times
The Washington Post
Slate
Mother Jones
Politifact/
BBC
Reuters
Al Jazeera

I studied German in school, so more to just keep up on my German, I read:
Der Spiegel
Deutsche Welle

And to keep myself aware of the other side of things, a few times a week I usually check:
Fox News
The National Review
Info Wars

And now I've started paying attention to this one too:
Breitbart

In my defense, I spend a lot of time commuting in the subway.

I dont have a "you have to check this out" or a "don't trust this one" source to offer. I mainly included that because I'm curious what other people think.

One thing that jumped out was Info Wars, holy shit Alex Jones is a dam nutter... I mean I'm sure you see that but what's crazier are the people who blindly trust him...
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

InbetweenDreams Wrote:One thing that jumped out was Info Wars, holy shit Alex Jones is a dam nutter... I mean I'm sure you see that but what's crazier are the people who blindly trust him...

Like I said, I read it to see what else is being said out there. It's pretty interesting what different sources report on, what they prioritize, what they omit. Conservative vs Liberal media, and also American vs International news. That in itself is worth looking at different sources, just seeing what is deemed the important news and what isn't.

Like for example, it was only through Al Jazeera that I found out there is an ethnic cleansing taking place in Myanmar right now. It's starting to get a little more attention now but still, I wouldn't have known about it otherwise.

I'm a bit guilty myself, Facebook. Never Fox News though lol

Online, NYT is my go-to. My local NPR member station is what I listen to.

There's so much going on in the news right now. I am noting how all the election-time ethics crusaders have suddenly gone silent. Fascinating.

Lou Reed once said 'Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see'

No News source is reliable when there are only a handful of people that own all media sources.

Independent news reeks too much of personal opinion and 'alternate facts'

NativeSon Wrote:Online, NYT is my go-to. My local NPR member station is what I listen to.

There's so much going on in the news right now. I am noting how all the election-time ethics crusaders have suddenly gone silent. Fascinating.

Yeah I'm noticing that too.